Locker Placement Fuels Mixed Reactions from Students

GoodGrief- Staff Writer Ngozi Aghanya

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

Many Eleanor Roosevelt HS students, especially freshmen, were unhappy when they learned that their lockers were not located in close proximity to their first period classes.

At ERHS, each graduating class is assigned lockers in a different section of the school, so most of the freshmen class, for example, were assigned lockers on the top floor.

Freshmen asked about the placement of their lockers had differing opinions on the usefulness of lockers in general.

Freshmen Jorge Guerrero and Jadyn Vessels both said that they do not use their lockers because it is not necessary.

Another freshman, Aunjeli Weekes, said that she goes to her locker six times a day. “You don’t have to carry around your backpack, if you don’t want to,” explained Weekes.

Freshman Olaoluwa Adebajo said that she does not like the placement of her locker, because “it’s too far from most of my classes.” If Adebajo did use her locker, she explained, “I would mostly use it to like store my coat in winter, or textbooks that I don’t want to carry around.”

“I heard [freshmen] complain their lockers are far from class,” said English teacher and 2016 class sponsor Ms. Dierdra B-Ray. In her class, she said, she talks to the students about mapping out their day so that they can get to their lockers easily. “Looking at the time after the bell, they have an extra minute to go where they need to go,” Ms. B-Ray added.

Ms. Arnita Dew, administrator of the seniors and distributor of the lockers, explained the process of choosing the lockers for students.

“Typically I try to give out lockers according to floors because of the large number of freshmen and sophomores this year,” she said. “We would have to put them separately in each floor; freshmen on the second floor, sophomores on the first floor, and seniors and juniors on the ground floor.” The vast majority of the freshmen lockers are situated on the second floor, and the others are on the first floor with the sophomores.

“It’s away from all my classes,” said freshman Noah Williams, regarding his locker. This was one of the most common responses freshmen gave about locker placement. Lockers can be used for personal belongings or extra supplies, however distance can become an obstacle.

Freshman Thomas Hollowell said that he would like his locker to be adjusted so that “I don’t have to go through the hallway.” Hollowell’s locker is on the second floor, and he said that he goes to his locker at least four times a day.

Bidhan Chowdhury, a freshman who’s locker is located on the first floor, goes twice in a day. When asked, Chowdhury said that she doesn’t really have a problem with her locker location.

As winter is coming, many students will need a place to store their winter wear. Ms. Dew urges anybody who doesn’t have a locker to contact her.