Drumline Starting Something New

Erica Gibbs, Staff Writer

The ERHS Drumline is the first of its kind in Eleanor Roosevelt High School history. With four members and headed by Mr. Gary Jenkins, the drumline began last May after much consideration by the principal Mr. Reginald McNeill, as well as administrators, Mr. Clinton Shands and Mrs. Arnita Dew.

Principal McNeill had been discussing the possibilities of a marching band at ERHS with the administrators for a while, but due to financial limitations and a lack of an available and qualified sponsor the idea was kept grounded. “We’d have to find funding from the community and it hasn’t really been the right time,” said Mr. McNeill.

Mr. McNeill was fortunate to hear of Mr. Jenkins, a substitute with an extensive and impressive resume. Mr. Jenkins started building a marching band on a smaller scale, beginning with a drumline.

Mr. Jenkins is a PGCPS substitute teacher with 64 years of experience with the drums, beginning at the age of 4. Throughout his career, he has performed professionally all over the world, including at Walt Disney World as the first black staff musician, and has even been featured on multiple CDs and worked with famous 60’s motown groups such as The O’Jays. Mr. Jenkins describes the perfect candidate for the drumline as “anyone with a desire to play.”

One of the students already committed to the club, senior Tahtiana Buckley, is a novice drummer and admits that “it was hard learning a new instrument. I struggled…but as I practice[d] more I became better.”

The Drumline will allow students to learn new skills, be a part of pep rallies and parades, and possibly represent ERHS in a national competition for drumlines.
Mr. McNeill said he is excited to expand the program and see the students practice and master new skills.