Target Stores Set to Implement Gender Neutral Signs

Taylor Roar

Toy section of Target in Laurel, MD.

Taylor Roar, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On August 7, 2015, officials from Target released a statement explaining the store’s new initiative to move away from the use of gender-based signs. Though word of the change sparked a hugely negative response from customers online, ERHS students and staff generally have a positive attitude towards the use of gender neutral signs.

The growing number of people that openly identify themselves as transgender is “okay,” according to freshman Jessica Silver, who said she doesn’t mind the idea of Target putting up gender neutral signs. We should “treat everyone equally,” she added.

Engineering teacher Dr. Davida Lea agreed with the sentiment of treating everyone equally. She mentioned that she will focus on the younger demographic since she is a teacher before explaining that “you’re limiting [a kids’] choice” if they are not allowed to wear something they want to. “Kids have to know that if they like pink it’s okay,”  she finished.

The statement released by Target said that the purpose of the signs throughout the store are to help customers navigate more “efficiently,” however, “in some departments like Toys, Home or Entertainment, suggesting products by gender is unnecessary.”

Students came to the consensus that they agree with that statement for reasons such as: people “could walk to any section” they want, said Silver. “The signs are for advertisement,” said Dr. Lea. “You can personally pick out what’s interesting to you.”

Target shoppers from across the country had much more critical reactions, many claiming that they will never shop at Target again. However, this was almost comical to students at ERHS.  “Bye. Target doesn’t need you,” said senior, Ola Akinwale. Silver quickly rolled her eyes as she exclaimed “Oh my God! Society.”

“I don’t understand the problem,” said Dr. Lea. “People argue about anything.”

The people who refuse to shop at Target because of its sensitivity towards transgender people are “ignorant,” said senior Darius Lashley. They “can’t recognize the world is changing.”

Though there has not been any word of gender neutral bathrooms being installed in Target stores, there were mixed feelings when students were asked if their opinions would change had the new policies included a gender neutral bathroom. “Sometimes the bathroom for women [is] very crowded and you have to go to the boys bathroom,” explained Dr. Lea.

Silver disagreed with the idea completely, saying that she would not stop shopping at Target, but gender neutral bathrooms are “a bigger deal.”

There was some confusion as to how a bathroom of this sort would be set up, but Lashley and Akinwale agreed that a gender neutral bathroom would be okay if adults and children had separate bathrooms. “As long as there’s privacy,” said Lashley.

It is unclear whether or not other major stores will follow suit and implement gender neutral policies, but many of the students at ERHS are in support of the movement.

“We have the right to the pursuit of happiness,” said Lashley.