ERHS Plants Trees In Celebration of Becoming A Certified Green School

Hanan Zinab and Michael Addy digging into the ground getting ready to plant a tree.

Amrita Ahuja, Student Life Editor

From the addition of a Victory Garden, to the schools recycling club, ERHS has proven that they are ready to officially go green. ERHS has officially been approved as a certified green school, and will receive the certification and green flag on May 22nd. The certification lasts for four years, at which time ERHS will have to reapply.

US History, AP Human Geography, and sponsor of the ERHS environmental club, Mrs.Stern was contacted by Mr.Belle at the Schmidtt Center for Environmental Education who was willing to donate trees to our school. This past Thursday, May 7th ,2015 many students helped assist in planting the trees, including students from Ms.Howell’s AP Environmental Science class, Coach Green’s Physical Training classes, Mr.Eisenberg’s Integrated Science class, Mr.Secker’s SGA class, and Ms. Stern’s AP Human Geography and U.S. History classes. Several other teachers also donated digging equipment, including Ms.Heiman and Mr.Hendley. The trees were planted in front of the school building,which not only provides shade to the parking lot and adds more native trees to school grounds, but also improves the overall aesthetic of the school.