Baltimore Riots Fuel Varied Reactions from ERHS Students

Photo Courtesty CNN

Student protestors in Baltimore

Kiara Romero, Senior Staff Writer

The death of Freddie Gray has been highly publicized in the US, and many students posess strong opinions on the cause and justification of the April 28 riots following Gray’s death.

According to CNN, on April 12th Gray was “arrested on a weapons charge in a high-crime area of Baltimore known for drugs,” and later died due to a “severe spinal cord injury.”

Many news outlets are reporting that the protests are the result of widespread inequity and frustration in Baltimore about the tense relationship between the police and the community.

Most students have similar opinions on why the riots began.

“People never riot for no reason,” said senior Milan Brown. One cause of the riot was “police macing high school students” and “the police shutting down transportation,” she added.

Another senior, Martin Ejeh, said that he believes the riot started out because the Baltimore community feels that “too many black people have been killed,” and that there is a need for more “black rights.”

Junior Lury Raimundo-Videz said that “discrimination” was a reason for the riot.

Other students, like junior Miquel Swann, don’t think that the riots are solely based on the pursuit of equal rights for black people. The rioting “has nothing to do with Freddie Gray,” said Swann. Rioters are “taking advantage” of the situation and using Gray’s death as an “excuse.”

Students also have mixed feelings on whether or not the riots were justified.

“Rioting by burning buildings, no I don’t think it’s a good idea, but in terms of getting your voice across with civil disobedience, then yes,” said Brown. The riot “didn’t go too far,” she added, because “the police have been brutal to Baltimore for so long. People can only take so much.”

Several students thought that the riots were not necessary and people could have reacted to the death of Gray in a more peaceful way. “I think some people just rioted for free items. They could’ve just done it in a peaceful way,” said Ejeh.

Sophomore and Lady Raiders Step Squad member Brittany Amadi also said that she does not agree with the riot, for “violence is never a solution, and will help nothing,” said the sophomore, in agreeance with Ejeh.

“I do think the rioting went too far,” Amadi continued. “In response to police brutality, instead of rioting, people should continue to protest peacefully. I understand that in the past justice was not served and that’s what the people are afraid of; what might happen again, but the people of Baltimore and many other people around the world have to remain peaceful and hope.”

Sophomore Arielle Jackson explained that she “gets that they were trying to protest, but they were destroying their own buildings,” and “they should protest outside their own neighborhoods.”

“Police just need to stop shooting,” said Jackson. “It happens so much that it’s not a big shocker anymore and that’s ridiculous.”

Another student who also had mixed feelings was senior Shabab Mustapha, who shared that protesting through the riot is a “good and bad thing.” He explained, “In a way it is bad because of the behavior of the rioters, the damage done to the community,” but also, “at the same time, I view it as a good thing because it grabs the attention of the whole nation and voices were heard.”

The people of Baltimore did not only protest through a riot, there was also a peaceful protest.

“I didn’t hear anything mentioned about the peaceful protests at all in the news, and they were just focused on the destruction,” said one student who wished to remain anonymous. “It was …. good to get the word out, but the violence took away the meaning of the protest,” she said.

As the New York Times reported, about six police officers have now been charged for “murder, manslaughter, and fatal injury of Freddie Gray.” The six police officers have now been bailed out of jail with a $250,000-$350,000 cost.