ERHS Band Visits Boston

Nebeyu Mesfin, News Editor

image1From April 23 -April 27, students visited Boston to participate in the heritage music festival, at which the jazz band, wind ensemble, and symphonic band all performed for three judges, and were given scores which determined their level of award. ERHS won the award for the highest combined score from the scores of each individual band.

The band crew took several side trips, which included a viewing of The Lion King on Broadway and the 9/11 memorial in New York and visits to MIT and Harvard in Massachusetts. According to Mrs. Sally Wagner, “for a whole city block there’s just no sound” around the 9/11 memorial, which the group visited because one of the pieces written by the ensemble was in memorial of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Wagner also commented on the trip in its entirety, saying “it was a wonderful trip, because everyone did their job and everyone was attentive.”

Senior Daniel Thompson, along with a majority of the students in Mrs. Wagner’s first period class, recognized the Blue Man Group – a creative theatre group that performs globally-  as his favorite part about this trip. 

Senior Patrick Cable said his favorite part of the trip was “performing at an important event.” When asked about the Blue man Group, Cable insisted on not describing them, saying “you have to see it for yourself.”

Administrators Mrs. Sandra Lyles and Mrs. Arnita Dew went along with the band students to Boston.