Students Get Wrapped Up in the Hijab Experience

Alejandra Melnyk

A member of the Muslim Student Association adjusts the headscarf of a participant in the Hijab Experience inside of Mr. Troy Bradbury’s classroom, where participants met to have their hijabs wrapped on them, and where an afterschool discussion took place

Alejandra Melnyk, Staff Writer

On Wednesday April 22, close to thirty Eleanor Roosevelt High School students and one teacher participated in the Hijab Experience, an event that, according to the permission slip that students were required to fill out to participate, was “to allow an understanding of [the hijab’s] purpose and clear the misconception around Islam and the headscarf,” rather than “to encourage the wearing of the hijab.” The event was hosted by the Muslim Student Association (MSA.)

Those who participated decided to experience what it would be like to wear a hijab for the school day, traveling through their classes with their hair covered.

Hijab Experience Pic 1
Freshman Teresa Ozga, one of many participants who wore a headscarf for the day in the Hijab Experience

“Everybody kept asking me why I was wearing it,” said freshman Daanye Scott.

Participants arrived at 8’o clock that Wednesday to have their hijabs put on by members of the Muslim Student Association (MSA), who had provided scarves for those who didn’t have their own. Hijab directly translates to cover in Arabic, and is not meant to only cover your head, but also your arms and body until your ankles. During the Hijab Experience however, most students participated by only covering their heads. Some hijabs were draped lightly around the head, but others were more tightly wrapped.

“I felt more pure,” stated Nicole Fana Brito, after wearing the hijab for the day.

Following the Hijab Experience was an afterschool meeting held by the MSA, where participants could openly discuss their feelings and experiences from the day.

Guest speaker Imam Ahmad Azzaari attended, a Muslim Scholar from the Muslim Association Mosque in Lanham. Mr. Elzaree spoke of common Muslim misconceptions and the reason behind the hijab.

Hijab Experience Pic 3
In the hallway, a member of the Muslim Student Association ties the headscarf of a participant in the Hijab Experience

Misconceptions about foreign cultures can be common, and the Hijab Experience was accordingly designed to try to help more people to understand and view Islam in a different light.

The MSA handed out a sheet of “Common Misconceptions about Islam and the Hijab,” including that “Islam oppressed women,” “Muslims don’t believe in Jesus and don’t respect him,” and that “Women who cover, wear the hijab 24/7 and even shower with it on. Muslim women are bald.”

The sheet contained extensive debunks of these myths and others, including quoting the Quran, the holy text of Islam.

“I feel like more people are now aware of Islam,” said Freshman Teresa Ozga.