Zero Period Cancelled for 2015-2016 School Year

Kiara Romero, Senior Staff Writer

Eleanor Roosevelt High School provides students with the option of taking an extra class each day before school; these classes are called zero period. Zero period, however, will not be made available to ERHS students during the 2015-2016 school year due to “low enrollment,” says Mr. Scott Horn.

Zero periods “provide kids to get an extra class,” says Mr. Horn. He also clarifies that zero periods are “voluntarily for students and teachers. No one is forced into them.”

Students like junior Christine Ojibeka explained that they were not interested in taking a zero period. “It is difficult for me to wake up early,” says Ojibeka, adding that “Zero periods can add a lot of stress to students, especially for junior year.”

Other students who were interested in taking a zero period class said they were disappointed by the cancellation of this program.

One of these students, sophomore Grace Kemgang, was notified that she “needs a zero period” due to the fact that she will “not have a lunch.”

Another student, said she felt upset and was unaware about zero periods until they got cancelled. “If only they could announce it more often,” said junior Fatmata Mansaray. “I wish I knew (about zero periods) and most of my friends would take it if they found out about a zero period because they need it.”

“I need to take 2 math classes (next year) and the zero period would be effective,” Mansaray continued. “This effects me and other students for them to cancel zero period. A lot of students can’t afford summer school or evening school.”

Dr. David Yarbrough agreed that “It’s a big problem” to cancel zero periods because “Science and Tech students need to take electives and the program has added more requirements in the past years.” He said he understands, however, that “they need to have a full class” in order to keep the program.