Is Free Community College a Good Idea?

Nebeyu Mesfin, News Editor

President Barack Obama announced the “America’s College Promise Proposal” on Jan. 20, 2015 in his State of the Union address, which would offer students two years of free community college under certain circumstances. Obama wants to offer a full grant for community college to students who are enrolled at least part time and have a minimum 2.5 college GPA, according to the White House website.

If instituted, the proposal would have vast effects in the education system across the nation, including here at ERHS. Also, while some say they are in favor of the idea, the proposal also raises financial concerns.

“In theory it makes sense because you want to provide opportunities for everyone to go to school,” said Mr. Alex Kinder, teacher of AVP (HSA projects,) research practicum, organic chemistry, and honors chemistry at ERHS.  “I just think it will be expensive … Who’s going to pay for it? Taxpayers?”

School counselor Ms. Lolethia Lomax-Frazier said she has mixed sentiments on the topic. While she said that it’s “good for students who can’t afford college or do not meet admission requirements,” she also asked, “what will happen to small schools that rely on those students to attend their colleges? One example is Historically black colleges and universities.”

Both Mr. Kinder and Ms. Lomax-Frazier said they would not mind working at a community college.

“The only reason I would prefer working at a four year university is because I want to do research,” Mr. Kinder said.

Current attendee of Prince George’s Community College and ERHS alumni Laury Martinez said that “personally,” she does not “like the idea of making community college free.” Rather, she said she would have “the price brought down a bit but not to where it’s free or else my degree will have the same value as my high school diploma.”

Still, free community college is just a proposal. For it to be instituted, it would need approval from Congress.