Ask Jethro: Pressured and Moving

Dear Jethro,

I am nervous about choosing a college. My mom wants me to stay close by, but the rest of my family wants me to attend college near them in NC. What should I do?

-Pressured

Dear Pressured,

College is a huge milestone, and a big determining factor of where you’ll go in life. You should choose to go to a college that offers courses on the profession you want to pursue, in the location of your choice. Your mom and your family won’t be the ones having to study in the college you attend for four years, so you shouldn’t base your decisions on where they want you to go. To avoid conflict, simply tell your mom and your other family members that you respect their wishes, but you will make your final decision based on your needs and what suits you best. Good luck on your college-hunting!

Sincerely,

Jethro

Dear Jethro,

I may be moving soon. I will still be attending the school, but i will be moving to a different location. I’ve basically grown up there my whole life. I consider the people there family. How should I approach the situation?

Moving

Dear Moving,

As a military brat, I am the exact opposite of you. I’ve never really known what it feels like to live in one place my whole life. I usually move every two years or so, and not just within the same county. Sometimes I move across entire states or countries. Since you are only moving to another location in the same county, you aren’t going to be that far from your old house and old neighbors. You can still visit them occasionally if you miss them. Meanwhile, you can make new friends in your new location. Luckily, you’re still going to the same school and you don’t have to make new friends there and get adjusted to that environment. It could be a whole lot harder than that, so you have a lot to be thankful for. Good luck adjusting!

Sincerely,

Jethro

View Comments (1)
$25
$350

About the Contributor
Jethro Punzalan
Jethro Punzalan, Advice Columnist
Jethro Punzalan is a senior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School and is currently a staff writer and the resident Advice Columnist of the Raider Review. He pioneered the advice column “Ask Jethro”. Various ERHS students send him questions about their dilemmas and problems and he answers them. Jethro has been writing articles for The Raider Review for about two years. He started in his sophomore year when Journalism was just a club, and not a class yet. He has always enjoyed writing, and when he heard about the Journalism club, he thought it would be the perfect opportunity to hone his writing skills and meet other people with similar interests. In his junior year, Journalism became an official class and Jethro was happy to be taking it with the new friends he made from the club. He is currently taking Journalism II. Jethro is originally from the San Fernando Valley in Southern California, and he plans to return there after high school. His top pick is the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, and while he plans to become a Biology major, he plans to write for USC’s campus newspaper, The Daily Trojan, as an extracurricular. Other colleges he plans to apply to are Pacific Union College, the University of California - San Diego, the University of California - Santa Barbara, and the University of Maryland - College Park.
$25
$350

• J

John DowenskyNov 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Dear Jethro,

I really like this one girl, but i am not sure if I should ask her out. I am afraid to ask her because I don’t want it to ruin or make our friendship. I feel like we would not talk anymore if she said no. I don’t know what to do because I am head overs heels for her. I think about her everyday.

Sincerely,
    J. Dowensky

Reply
Ask Jethro: Pressured and Moving