Apple’s Huge Upgrade

Apple recently released its highly-awaited iPhone 6 and 6 plus on September 19. Some ERHS students have already bought versions of the new iPhone, which boasts bigger screens and improved features.

Senior Tolu Omokore pre-ordered the iPhone 6, and said “it’s basically the same,” but that she does like that the “messages and the phone itself are bigger.” She also says this phone was “worth the money,” considering that she has to keep this phone until she goes to college.

Junior Ashton Akinrimisi also pre-ordered the iPhone 6 and he says that he “thinks it was definitely worth it.”

“The phone gives you the aesthetics and sleekness of an iPhone,” said Akinrimisi, continuing that it has an “android-like build.” He also says he likes “the screen size and feel” and says it is “really crisp and clear.”

The iPhone 6 is 4.7 inches, while the 6 plus is 5.5 inches, and both models of iPhone have an upgraded camera and are now thinner as well. The iPhone 6 starts at 199$ for the 16GB model, and raises accordingly with the increasing amount of GB. 

According to a durability test by CBS news, the iPhone 6 and 6 plus are both very durable, with the 6 having the slight upper hand. Both phones were dropped six times each from a height of 4 feet. The iPhone 6 ended up with only a few scratches and bumps, while the 6 plus’s front and back panels came apart. During a water durability test, both phones had similar results in that they both temporarily lost audio, but regained it about 30 seconds later.

According to the New York Times, opening weekend of the two new iPhones resulted in over 10 million sales.

Possibly the most anticipated iOS release to date, iOS 8 was released for the public to download on the 17th of September. The new iPhones both run on iOS 8, which features improvements to the camera app, a new feature called HomeKit, and even a new “Family Sharing” feature. The HomeKit feature allows users to interact with compatible devices in their homes to perform certain functions. The Family Sharing feature allows up to six people to share iTunes downloads such as music and videos without having to share an account.