ERHS Softball Makes It To States

ERHS Softball Makes It To States

The Eleanor Roosevelt Softball team played an amazing season this year! They went undefeated during the regular season. From winning regionals to moving on the state final game, our softball team made history!  ended the softball tournament playing against Leonardtown High School on Saturday May 25, 2024 with a final score of 14-0. Despite Roosevelt not winning, they are proud that they went as far as they did!

Desiree Fuller, preparing to strike the ball (Alpha Jallow)

The team’s shortstop is Desiree Fuller, a junior. Her role is to field between second and third base. After the nearly undefeated season, Fuller learned “that no one can take away our legacy.” Fuller also adds “This softball team from PG county made it to States, and we will be remembered in ERHS history for our perseverance.” One loss certainly does not determine their skills and their energy.

Micah Smith, positioned as the catcher (Alpha Jallow)

Micah Smith, a junior, is positioned as the team’s catcher. In softball the catcher is positioned behind home plate with the intention of catching a runner out. The catcher is like the “backbone” of the team according to Smith. He adds that “they can see the entire field and tell people where to go.” When it comes to a big game many strategies are used to help the team win. During regionals, Smith states that he and his team “kept [their] head up and believed.” He adds that “this confidence is how [they] were able to go on a rally and win.” Unfortunately, the States game didn’t feel the same. Smith says “[he] could feel [his] team physically getting down and the energy shifting”. Nevertheless, Smith is grateful for the amazing season they had.

In the end, Eleanor Roosevelt High School may not have taken home a championship title, but their journey to state finals was absolutely phenomenal. Despite their final loss, as a team they displayed amazing skills and determination. They delivered amazing plays and will be remembered for years to come. The team gave it their all, really showcasing the spirit of teamwork and competition and their performance was a testament to their hard work and passions.  As the season ends, the promise of future success shines through, they have proven they have what it takes to reach the top.