2024 Summer Volunteer Opportunities & Jobs

If you don’t want to waste summer away, apply for these opportunities!

While the school year is coming to an end, many students are looking for opportunities for summer jobs and ways to spend their time. Summer jobs can range from anywhere to volunteering, working at fast food, or becoming an intern for any company or organization. There are many opportunities of jobs that are open, some of them you can volunteer for, and others you can apply for. Benefits of these summer jobs can be anywhere from being paid, service hours or just an learning experience. If you ever feel stuck or bored, check out these resources!

Greenbelt News Review is accepting volunteers who are dedicated and excited about the field of Journalism this summer! As per the website, “The Greenbelt News Review has been produced by its volunteers and members and delivered to the Greenbelt community since 1937 without having missed one issue! This remarkable feat would not have been possible without the commitment and hard work of many hundreds of dedicated individuals over the years.”

The Greenbelt News Review offers opportunities in the areas of Reporting, Photography, Editing, Typing, Customer Service, Graphic Art, etc. To get started today, fill out the volunteer contact form at https://www.greenbeltnewsreview.com/contact-us/volunteering/.

The Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage is looking for volunteers to help with the 2024 Smithsonian Folklife Festival which will be held June 26–July 1. It will feature the program Indigenous Voices of the Americas: Celebrating the National Museum of the American Indian.

• Morning and afternoon shifts are around 4 hours, and evening shifts are shorter depending on the schedule.
  • Volunteers 16-17 must bring a signed guardian permission form that the organization will provide.
  • Volunteers under 16 must bring an adult with them. The adult is welcome but not required to volunteer as well.
  • You can get service hours, just bring in the service hours form when you check in.

You can find more information on the festival website or by contacting the Volunteer Coordinator Charish Bishop at [email protected] or 202-633-652.  

Although this program isn’t volunteering, you can still learn and get paid. The Gains in the Education of Mathematics and Science (GEMS) is an U.S. Army-sponsored STEM program for middle and high school students. The deadline to apply has already passed but it will take place again next year. The program usually takes place in participating U.S. Army research laboratories and engineering centers. They have 4 Maryland locations which include, Frederick, Adelphi, Silver Spring and Aberdeen. While here, students will be able to: 

• work with other students your age to explore STEM topics that are related to current, U.S army research
  • work beside college students that are pursuing STEM careers
  • learn about STEM in a hands-on, lab-based environment
  • there’s no fee to participate, and we issue a small stipend to cover some of your costs
  • meet students, teachers, scientists and engineers who live and work near you

To learn more about this program, go to: https://www.usaeop.com/program/gems/

Some job opportunities for the summer can be a museum internship program: This would be at the national museum of American history. This summer job would be great for anyone interested in learning more about the workings of history museums. The minimum age for this job would be the age of 18 years.

If you love being in the water and cool during the heat, join the job of being a summer lifeguard! Job type can be part-time or full. This job will be located in LSI Pools in Cockeysville, MD. You must be at least 15 years of age in order to work at this job. Some experience would be great for this job but it is not required. Although it is required to be a strong swimmer, this to to ensure you can save anyone who is struggling in the water. The expected hours per week will range from 20-40. You must be available to work weekends and holidays so be sure to be prepared. The pay range is $15.00-$20.00 per hour. Some benefits from this job would be an employee discount and referral program. Come to the job and be determined and ready to work! For more information click the link. Summer Lifeguard Information

If your looking for a seasonal summer job that is fun and works with children, come be a camp counselor at The Lion of Judah Early Learning centers located in Catonsville, MD. If you’re flexible and energetic with a positive attitude looking to provide a protective safe, unique and fun experience for children during the summer this is the perfect job for you! Some qualities needed for this job is a high school diploma, must be a least 18 years of age, experience with camp and/or working with children, the ability to be able to work with others as a team along with other details. The range is $15 – $20 an hour-full time. Job shift would be monday to friday. If interested call 410-203-2162 today! Also check out this link for more details. Indeed

If your looking to be active in the heat this summer come and volunteer at Parks & Recreation – Prince George’s County MD. To volunteer all youth volunteers have to attend pre-service training during May/June. Ages 15 and older will need to complete a criminal background check. Youth volunteers for playground must be 14 years of age on or before May 31. Youth volunteers for summer day camps must be 15 years of age on or before May 31. These volunteer opportunities can help you earn student service learning hours for public schools. If interested sign up! Check out link for more information.  PG Parks

Six Flags 

Six Flags is open for applications throughout the summer for teens. Positions they have are ride operators, food service workers, retail associates, lifeguards, and more. Many teenagers find employment there, especially during summer breaks and weekends. They hire people as young as 16. Six Flags is located in Bowie, MD and is open from 11:00am – 8pm, Monday – Saturday. Junior Zyah Morning works at Six Flags and states that “it’s fun working there but also time consuming and takes up a lot of the weekend.” Due to Zyah still being in school she can only work on the weekends. She then states that “overall her co-workers are nice and can be fun to work with.” She works as the Ride Operator and for that position you must be 16 or older and must be able to make sure the ride is ok before anybody gets on. Before you officially get hired you will be given a work uniform and have to go through 4 hours of training and meet your manager. Click the link for more info!

https://careers.sixflags.com/six-flags-america/