Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

Interview: Orchestra Seniors Reflect on Their Musical Journey

After a successful spring concert by the Orchestra department on Thursday, April 18, the hardworking musicians wrapped up the 2024 season. The final concert of the year is also the final concert in high school for the musicians of the Class of 2024. As they prepare to say their goodbyes to their younger classmates and orchestra director, Dr. David Yarbrough, some of them took a moment to reflect on their musical journey at Eleanor Roosevelt High School. The Raider Review interviewed three of the orchestra’s seniors—violist Joshua Burton, 2nd violinist Anneh Asu, and cellist Kevin Hsu—to remember and celebrate who they’ve become because of orchestra.

These interviews are edited for clarity.

What was it like playing your final Spring Concert?

• Joshua Burton: I was relieved that we finally were able to get through our pieces because I was getting tired of them. But I’m also happy to leave the school in general.
  • Anneh Asu: It was a bit nerve-wracking, and I had a lot of expectations for myself. But as a whole, I’m very proud of what we did as a group. I’m very proud to have gone to Festival, which is something I’ve never done before, and it was really fun. I think ther were moments in the concert where I could have done better, but as a whole I’m very proud of myself.
  • Kevin Hsu: It felt very relieving. I’m happy that nobody made any huge mistakes.

What was your favourite memory from being in the ERHS orchestra?

• JB: The tour was fun. We went outside and we went to a bunch of shops. I had more fun during our lunch break than during the actual performances.
  • AA: Definitely the parties. It was fun planning them and seeing everyone bring recipes from home, and it shows how close we are as an orchestra. Not a lot of classes have the relationship that we have.
  • KH: Probably my sophomore year, where I got to play accompaniment for some solo pieces. It was cool to listen to them and how advanced they sounded.

Do you plan to continue orchestra in college?

• JB: Yes, but I don’t plan to major in music when I go to PGCC.
  • AA: Yes; I’ve been practicing a lot and preparing to do orchestra in college. That’s something I definitely want to do when I go to UMD.
  • KH: Yeah, there’s a community orchestra at UMD, but I’m not a music major, so I’ll have to audition.

What would you tell your freshman self about being in the ERHS orchestra?

• JB: Practice more.
  • AA: Stick through it and have as much fun in the class as possible.
  • KH: Just have fun with it.

Are there any words of advice or gratitude you would like to express to Dr. Yarbrough and your younger classmates?

• JB: Thank you, Dr. Yarbrough, for being the sassy influence I needed to keep me going throughout the school year.
  • AA: I would like to thank Dr. Yarbrough for being such a great teacher and making the class a fun experience. To incoming freshmen, I recommend taking orchestra. You’ll have a great time.
  • KH: The younger members should continue to take orchestra; it can help with problem solving and thinking skills, and it’s good for expressing yourself.