Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

DRB & TLR Present: The ERHS Step Olympics

Step teams from all over the nation were invited to showcase their skills for a grand prize.
Lethal+Ladies%2C+the+winning+step+team+from+Baltimore%2C+pose+with+their+trophy+at+the+tournament.+
Lethal Ladies, the winning step team from Baltimore, pose with their trophy at the tournament.

Eleanor Roosevelt’s honorable step teams ‘Dem Raider Boyz’ & ‘The Lady Raiders’ hosted an amazing Step Olympics Saturday, April 20th at ERHS in the auditorium. They also gave the crowd an awesome intermission performance to represent ERHS. In this competition, teams such as ‘Lethal Ladies’, ‘Theta nu Sigma Steppaz with Attitude’, ‘Unity Queen Steppers’, and many more were invited to compete and showcase their hard work for the cash prize of $3,000! 

The art of step involves choreographed movement routines where performers stomp, step, and clap in unique sequences. Step is a form of expression significant in the African-American Greek Letter Organizations (The Divine 9). Step is a way performers can convey a message with spoken word or simply a way to entertain an audience. There are a lot of key components to an ideal step routine. Cheikh Sow, a member of  ‘Dem Raider Boyz’ states that “the key components of a step routine are composed of strolls, steps, and skits.” In a step routine, movement is a major factor, and everything is precise and intentional.

When it comes to step competition, teams are typically judged based on technique and skill. Mark Mitchell, another notable member of ‘Dem Raider Boyz’ explains that “judges grade a step routine on theme, volume, precision, introduction, basically every parameter a performance can be judged on” The scoring process can be intense which is why repetition plays a huge role when teams practice for competitions/performances. Making sure that a routine lives up to the standard is also important because it avoids disqualification. Mark Mitchell adds that “A team would get disqualified for going over their allotted time slot.. Going even a second over can result in a disqualification.” The rules and regulations are firm which is why teams go above and beyond every performance to ensure consistency. 

Every single team at the show gave it there all but only one could win. As hosts, Dem Raider Boyz and The Lady Raiders were not in the running, and the team that brought it all to the stage and won the $3,000 was ‘Lethal Ladies’ from Baltimore!

Try to catch a performance from our teams this spring!