The Life of A Student Business Owner

Rubi poses with her baked products.. Photo Courtesy of Giselle Juarez.

At ERHS, there are many students with small businesses ranging from food, bouquets, hair, and so much more. Being a student while having a business can be hard, but there are many ways that student entrepreneur Sophomore Rubi Amaju can work it out.

Amaju decided to start her own baking business in February 2024, selling different types of desserts like cookies, blondies, and brownies. “I always loved to bake with my grandmother when I was young, so I grew a passion for baking,” Amaju shares her reason for starting her business. She also mentions that she has always loved to try new recipes.

As for the business, Amaju notes that “so far it’s been going well. I am doing well in sales, but I could be doing better in marketing my product.” Despite this, she sees herself expanding her business to restaurants and grocery stores. Price adjustments have been another challenge. Amaju explained to her customers that her prices went up, such as her cookies from $1 to $2, because she needed to gain profit for her supplies.

It has been stressful for Amaju to manage school and a small business. “But, during school,” She adds, “I make sure I finish all my work within the class period. And if I have homework, I do it in the library or in a class where I have free time. It’s a lot of late nights on the days where I’m selling cookies but I still pull through.” Amaju mostly works independently, but “Sometimes, my mom does help with putting the stickers on the cookies after they are packed.”

Even though it’s tough for her, Amaju still loves doing it and stays motivated. Her strong mindset on being ambitious is an inspiration for all student business owners.