Metal Detectors Address Just One Aspect of School Safety

Students wait in line to go through the new metal detectors.

Safety in school has been a prominent topic for the past few years. Schools across the country are taking various measures to ensure the safety of their students, including installing metal detectors, hiring police officers, and using clear backpacks. While these safety measures are essential, it’s also important to address the underlying issues contributing to school violence. This includes providing mental health support to students, promoting a culture of respect and kindness, and addressing issues of bullying and harassment.

Ms. Jamall demonstrates how to move through the metal detector.

In our school, Eleanor Roosevelt High School (ERHS), we had metal detectors implemented before we went on winter break. The detectors were implemented by Prince George’s County Public Schools as a security measure to prevent weapons and dangerous items from being brought onto school grounds. The first few days of having the security enhancements went well other than a few students being late to their first period. This sounds good on paper, but it can also add to the sense of fear and discomfort among students. On the news, we see how violence in schools is a prominent theme and we can’t help but think what if Roosevelt is next?

School safety starts with the mental health and well-being of students. School administration needs to educate students on the importance of self-care and stress management techniques, such as exercise, meditation, and mindfulness. Encouraging healthy habits and a positive mindset can stop students from resorting to violence. Creating a safe and inclusive school environment is also crucial, especially when a student’s life at home cannot be controlled.

School is supposed to be a safe and inclusive place of learning. This means addressing issues of bullying and harassment and promoting a culture of respect and acceptance. When students feel valued and supported, they are less likely to make violent decisions. ERHS has clubs like Students Against Destructive Decisions and Bring Change 2 Mind to help combat these issues. Also, if you are having trouble or need mediation you can speak to your grade-level counselor or use this link: ERHS Counseling Page. In conclusion, addressing the underlying issues that contribute to school violence, such as mental health, bullying, and harassment, is equally important as implementing safety measures like metal detectors.