Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

Why You Should Join Cards4Kindness

Halloween-themed cards made by students in Cards4Kindness Courtesy of @erhs_c4k

The Cards4Kindness club is offering service hours to students by making wonderful cards that could make someone’s day. These cards are based on different themes almost every 2 weeks. The main focus is to make a big change and make people smile. Is anything better than this? To make someone happy and earn service hours for it! “Cards for kindness is essentially a way for us to bring a little more cheerfulness and happiness into the world”. The main goal is to make this world a better place. You could be part of the club and make a change.

Teacher, and school sponsor of the club, Ms. Kathryn Komar says that the club is a national organization that “was started by a group of students a couple of years ago because with everything going on kids were feeling more pressured and more anxiety and they wanted a way to help and make everyone feel better”. 

The president of the club, Carissa Nwabueze, was also interviewed to give us her view of the club. She talked about how she joined the club and why. “Originally when I was a freshman part of it was that I really like drawing and the other half was service hours”.

These cards are for everyone: children, adults, and students. There is a new theme every once in a while, they either come up with the theme themselves or use the recommendations. Throughout the whole year students in the Cards4Kindness club make cards for different people. “We can use those to either create cards and give them around our own school or we can bring them out into the community like we can take them to children’s hospitals, we can take them to senior living facilities”. It only takes you about 15 minutes to make a good card that could make a difference. 

This club is a good opportunity for students who like to draw. You can use your drawing skills to make cards and earn service hours while doing something that you have a passion for.

Halloween-themed cards made by students in Cards4Kindness
Courtesy of @erhs_c4k

Ms.Komar was asked how she felt about being part of the club. “I like it because sometimes the world is horrible and sometimes we are all overwhelmed and it is just nice to, on the opposite side of that to see a card and receive it and be like aww someone cares even if you don’t know who they are”. This is an example of how someone might react to a card made by you, take the chance and join the club. It feels nice to know that someone right now is smiling and happy over a card you made for them. “Whenever you get a card and see that someone put the time into making them it makes you feel good”. Some people out there do not have support from no one not even family members. Many people in this world deal with stuff that they are not willing to talk about, with a card you can give them hope that things will get better. 

A message that the president of the club sends to all students in Eleanor Roosevelt High School, “I just really love the simplicity and what this club does. You should join Cards4Kindness. It is really fun, we have our little meetings every other Monday”. But what if you can’t make it to the meetings? “Even if you can’t make it to the meetings you can still join the club, we understand that there’s a lot going on here in school with sports, clubs, academics, and personal life that’s why we have our canvas page come see me or Carissa we can give you access to the page and this way you an still have access to the information like what the theme is and then you can drop the cards off at my room that’s why we have that little drop box. So if you’re still interested we accept new members all the time, all throughout the year, so even if you’re interested and can’t make the club let us know and we will work with you”. You can still join the club without having to attend all meetings. 

Cards4Kindness club is a really good opportunity for those students looking for service hours or for those who have a passion for drawing. It only takes about 10 minutes of your time to create a card and make a difference. The world is going through many things, many people are going through hard times right now and you can help make the world a better palace by simply making people smile at your cards. Students you all should consider joining and for any questions contact Ms.Komar at [email protected] or the president of the club [email protected].