NBA Power Rankings: Is There a New Face of the West?

Rankings of all 15 NBA Western Conference Teams.
Soobum Im
Shaedon Sharpe dunking the ball.

As the 2023-2024 NBA Season starts to roll around the corner, fans start to wonder: Where do the 15 Western Conference NBA Teams rank against each other? As a sports reporter for the Raider Review, I decided to give my own picks for the upcoming NBA Season.

There have been massive moves such as Damian Lillard being traded to the Milwaukee Bucks, Chris Paul to the Warriors, and Dillion Brooks and Fred VanVleet being signed to the Rockets. There are a lot of factors to account for but, I am ranking them based on lineups, morale, and stats.

I asked a sports analyst for their opinion on the matter for their perspective on the rankings and here’s what they had to say. When asked about his opinion on how the NBA is shaping up, NBA Analyst Ayden Granillo told me 

“All the teams are good but it depends on the players’ morale. One argument or miscommunication can bring an entire team down. The game is very competitive and challenging to experience. Expectations are high as a certain rookie (Victor Wembyamana) is being compared to LeBron James in his rookie year. We will see how he performs with the pressure he has on him. But overall, it’ll be an exciting, surprising season with the amount of moves that happened during the offseason.”

The quote, “Failure is the opportunity to begin again and succeed even more”, by Lansana Alpha, perfectly sums up the pace of every NBA season. Most teams have moved on from players and other has kept their cores because of good reasons. That is why for my first team,

1. Denver Nuggets (61-21)

Nikola Jokic (#15) and Jamal Murray (#27) standing next to each other. (Getty Images)

Honestly, who in the world doesn’t think this team will go back-to-back? Nikola Jokic is coming off a should’ve been MVP season and an amazing championship run with the Nuggets. Although the Nuggets did lose Bruce Brown, who was a key point of their lineup, and vet Jeff Green. They did manage to bring in Justin Holiday and keep the core that they had during the championship run. Jamal Murray and Michaël Porter Jr are not to be underestimated as Murray has come back drastically from an ACL injury in 2021. Michael Porter Jr has provided great sparks off the bench as he averaged 13.4 points and 8 rebounds during Denver’s championship run. Plus, with the rise of Guard Christian Braun, you can expect the Nuggets to go back-to-back.

2. Phoenix Suns (55-27)

Kevin Durant [Left] dapping up Devin Booker [Right] (Joe Camporeale-USA Today Sports)
One of the most promising upside teams but could be disappointing teams yet. Kevin Durant, MVP, 10x ALL-NBA, Devin Booker, 1x All-NBA and 3x All-Star, and Bradley Beal, 3x All-Star, 1x All-NBA. The only problem that is stopping this team from a clear championship is lineup depth. Bradley Beal is currently temporarily injured with a back injury, their 6th-man Jordan Goodwin is currently starting. Devin Booker’s explosive playstyle and Durant’s deadly mid-range should give this team a deadly combo to work with. The Suns can either be a clear #1 seed or at minimum a play-in team.

3. Golden State Warriors (49-33)

Steph Curry pointing to his wrist after he won the 2023 NBA Championship against Boston. (Jesse D. Garrabrant)

The Golden State Warriors have the number 3 spot in the power rankings for the 2023-2024 NBA season. Led by the dynamic duo of Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, they look for ring number #5. They added Chris Paul and Dario Saric in the offseason but they haven’t addressed their need at center, sticking with Kevon Looney. Additionally, the emergence of Jonathan Kuminga and Andrew Wiggins has added much-needed depth and athleticism to their shallow team. Coach Steve Kerr’s strategic brilliance continues to shine, ensuring a lethal three-point scoring offense. But comes at the cost of an unstable defense. With their unique style of play, the Warriors are once again poised to be title contenders, making them a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming season.

4. Sacramento Kings (48-34)

De’Aaron Fox starting a play. (Kelley L. Cox-USA Today Sports)

In the 2023-2024 season, with Mike Brown as the head coach, the Sacramento Kings have secured the number 4 spot in the power rankings. With the combination of strong leadership, and a dynamic, electrifying roster. Coach Brown’s strategic prowess and defensive expertise have helped transform the Kings into a more offensive and competitive team in the West. Led by star De’Aaron Fox, the Kings plan to make another playoff appearance as they did the season before securing the 3rd seed. Fox is in his 7th year and is looking to turn heads after becoming an All-Star, with Teammate Domantas Sabonis last year. 

5. Dallas Mavericks (46-36)

Luka Doncic celebrating after a bucket. (Gareth Patterson | AP)

The Dallas Mavericks have climbed to the number 5 spot in the power rankings for the 2023-2024 NBA season. Thanks to their formidable trio of Luka Dončić, Kyrie Irving, and the sensational rookie Derrick Lively. This team was the #11 seed last year but with new upgrades, things are looking bright for the Mavericks. Luka Dončić, widely regarded as one of the league’s brightest young stars, continues to dazzle with his incredible playmaking abilities and scoring prowess as he averaged 20+ points per game in all seasons of his career and 30+ points per game in the playoffs. His on-court chemistry with Kyrie Irving, acquired in a blockbuster trade, has added a second dimension to the Mavericks’ backcourt, making them a scary offensive duo. Expect them to have amazing games but also have some lowlights.

6. Los Angeles Lakers (43-39)

Lebron James being frustrated. (Getty Images)

Now, hear me out. I know the media is painting Lebron as old and washed but he isn’t washed, just old. Lebron has still contributed to the Lakers in a significant way but his athleticism and clutch factor have slowed down as he is slowly pulling into his 21st season. That’s right, LeBron has been playing since 2003. Now the bright spot is that the Lakers have Anthony Davis who is currently in his prime as a defensive threat and Austin Reaves who is their man for the future as a solid 15 points per game scorer. The Lakers have added some needed depth with the likes of D’Angelo Russell, and Christian Wood who are solid pieces that can come off the bench and help you win a game or two. LeBron and the Lakers are proving to make a change this season as they were a massive disappointment being swept by the eventual champions, The Denver Nuggets.

7. New Orleans Pelicans (42-40)

Zion Williamson of the New Orleans Pelicans poses for a portrait on the NBA Media Day in New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S., September 27, 2021. /CFP

For New Orleans, this is a make-or-break year. After constantly missing out on the playoffs, they made the playoffs in the last 2 seasons. Zion is back and will be the key to a playoff appearance for this team. Zion used to be the most feared NBA Player in terms of strength until he began to become injury-prone. When Zion is on the floor, you can expect him to completely body someone in the post. They had some great draft picks with Trey Murphy III and Herbert Jones who will provide solid defensive capabilities for the Pelicans. But you can’t forget the trio that led this team to multiple play-in appearances. Jonas Valuciunas, Brandon Ingram, and C.J McCollum are the starters of this team, and rightfully so, because together they combine for 2 Most Improved Player awards and 1 All-Star Appearance.

8. Memphis Grizzlies (42-40)

(Getty Images)

This is where the play-in teams start. The Grizzlies are gonna be the best team to not be a championship contender. Desmond Bane is being given a HUGE role to fill in as Ja Morant was suspended for 25 games for violating NBA conduct. The Grizzlies did make up for that by signing Derrick Rose and trading for Marcus Smart in the offseason to compensate for the loss of Ja Morant. Marcus Smart is a really great defensive player as he was named the 2021-22 Defensive Player of the Year and made the All-Defensive Team 3 times. Jaren Jackson Jr is also a great 2-way player for the Grizzlies with his athleticism, 3-point shooting, and rim protection. Sadly, they will be without their center, Steven Adams, who is the hardest screen-setter of all time, and would’ve provided elite inside defense for the Grizzlies. The thing that is gonna set the Grizzlies apart from the rest of the teams is the return of Ja Morant.

9. Los Angeles Clippers (41-41)

(Getty Images)

The Los Angeles Clippers are a team that could really succeed but probably won’t due to one factor, Injuries. Zubac, Westbrook, Kawhi, and PG13 are gonna be an interesting big 4 this season as Westbrook is the ultimate athletic point guard with the ability to spread the floor, shoot, and rebound. Kawhi is a defensive beast with an elite midrange game, PG13 is one of the best-skilled players in the NBA with a crazy size and length. Zubac is a great interior threat for scoring and defense and should give the Clippers a good boost.

10. Minnesota Timberwolves (40-42)

(NBA.Com)

The Minnesota Timberwolves have a big 3, but they aren’t doing so well. Anthony Edwards is a promising star and maybe a future MVP candidate. But, his two-star teammates have their own struggles. Rudy Gobert is aging and not as much of a defensive threat as he was a couple of years ago, Karl Anthony-Towns isn’t getting any better and hit his ceiling, so I don’t think the Timberwolves get better but they are good enough to make the play-in.

11. Oklahoma City Thunder (40-42)

Oklahoma City Thunder guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (2) drives against Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell (45) in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Oct. 27, 2023, in Cleveland. (David Dermer)

Oklahoma City will be an interesting team to watch this season as they have one of the best, young teams in the NBA. Point Guard SGA (Shai) is coming off a 30-point-per-game season in which no one expected him to. They got their star big man back in Chet Holmgren as he was injured before his rookie season, making this his official rookie season. I believe this team can go as high as the 5th seed but I think they make the play-in as they lack in size other than their 7 ‘2 center. This team will be fun as Shai’s playstyle and the rest of their lineup is widely different but all fundamental.

12. Utah Jazz (41-41)

Utah Jazz forward Lauri Markkanen (23) moves the ball down court in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the New Orleans Pelicans in New Orleans, Sunday, Oct. 23, 2022. (Gerald Herbert)

The Jazz took the lead by surprise early last season as they were undefeated and the number #1 seed for a while. They ended up the 11th seed and were the last seed of the play-in teams. Star Forward Lauri Markkanen is coming off a breakout season as he was awarded an All-Star selection and the Most Improved Player award last season. Fun Fact, he had to finish his military service for his country, Finland, as in the law, all men and women have to serve in the Finnish military at least once. Besides that, this team is gonna be one of the mediocre teams but they do have a bright window to make a deep playoff run with Rookie Keyonte George, John Collins, Jordan Clarkson, and Walker Kessler.

13. Portland Trail Blazers (35-47)

Anfernee Simons getting ready to pass the ball during play. (Bleacher Report)

The Portland Trail Blazers should be ranked 13th in power rankings as they have lost a bunch of key players in their rotation. Their well-rounded roster of Ayton, Simons, and Shadeon Sharpe. They have a slight chance to have the potential to make a playoff run. However, they have faced challenges from stronger teams in the Western Conference, which keeps them just outside the top 10 in power rankings.

14. San Antonio Spurs (32-50)

Victor Wembyamana being interviewed. (Getty Images)

The Spurs will finish 14th despite Victor Wembyanama, Jeremy Sochan, and Devin Vassell due to their tough schedule and fierce competition in the Western Conference. Injuries to key players could also hinder their performance throughout the season, affecting their overall standings. Additionally, the team’s lack of experienced depth in certain positions adds to the fact that they have an inconsistent level of play.

15. Houston Rockets (28-54)

The Rockets will finish last in the conference. Now, this could be attributed to their overall lack of experienced talent, with a significant reliance on rookies and young players like Jabari Smith Jr. In a competitive Western Conference, the team may struggle to secure wins consistently, especially when facing more established and playoff-bound opponents. While Jabari Smith Jr. holds promise, it often takes time for young talents to make a significant impact on a team’s overall success, even though this is his 2nd season.

Rockets’ Jabari Smith (1) drives on Devonte Graham (4) (Darren Abate)