Meet Ms. O’Hannon-Dortch, English Teacher

Ms.+Dortch-O%E2%80%99Hannon+at+her+desk.+
Ms. Dortch-O’Hannon at her desk.

Ms. Sacha O’Hannon-Dortch, who often goes by Ms. Dortch, is a new tenth grade English teacher here at Roosevelt. Although she is new to the school, she is not new to teaching. She has been teaching for “17 wonderful years,” beginning her teaching career in Wilmington, Delaware and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after graduating from Delaware State University.

Ms. Dortch noted that her passion for education was “sparked after reading Toni Morrison’s acclaimed novel, Song of Solomon.” Through this transformative experience, she “realized the power of literature to provide insight into diverse perspectives and lived experiences.” She says that this inspired her to become an educator in order to “provide students with access to the knowledge and empathy gained through reading.”

As mentioned earlier, Ms. Dortch has had teaching experiences from her last schools, but teaching in a new school is a challenge in and of itself. Roosevelt’s eight period day is a switch for her this year, but  she states that “the fast paced 45 minute periods offer an invigorating change from the 70-minute ‘A-day’ and ‘B-day’ mod schedule” that she had been accustomed to in her old school. Yet, despite the need to adjust, Ms. Dortch added that “[her] time passes swiftly and I cherish the opportunity to interact with my students on a daily basis.”

Ms. Dortch-O’Hannon teaching in her classroom.

Ms. Dortch “decided to join the exceptional community at Eleanor Roosevelt High School” as she had heard that this school has an “outstanding reputation within the county.” She finally adds that “it is an honor and a pleasure to be a part of the ERHS family. I look forward to reading, writing, and exploring new ideas with my students this year.” 

View Comments (1)
$25
$350

About the Contributors
Jonathan Harris
Jonathan Harris, Staff Writer
Jonathan Harris is a Senior and joined the Raider Review last year as a staff writer. He enjoys journalism because it allows him to speak his mind and be creative. He has been interested in covering the sports section of the newspaper as well as school issues that have an effect on every student and teacher in the school. Journalism has helped him write better papers and essays in his other classes and has mad him a better writer in general.  Outside of journalism, Jonathan has been pursuing his love of digital music production for the better part of the last decade and hopes to become a professional music producer in the future. He enjoys watching sports, listening to and making music, and playing video games. After high school, Jonathan hopes to go to Temple University to study communications and music production.
Chesa Filomeno
Chesa Filomeno, Staff Writer
As a Raider Review staff writer, Chesa Urielle O. Filomeno hopes to write enjoyable and/or urgent news stories to entertain the readers and express her thoughts and opinions through words. Even though this is her last year here in Roosevelt, she joins the Raider Review and Journalism class to improve her writing skills and to share what she wants to say.  Besides being a senior here in Roosevelt, Chesa also likes to listen to music, binge-read books (especially romance), watch YouTube videos, cook food, drink her matcha or bubble tea, and take care of her dog, Kimmie. She is known for her enthusiastic energy,  Chesa plans to major in Computer Science with a minor in Political Science,  yet still unsure as she loves the Humanities field despite being an S/T student. But, as Kim Namjoon, known as RM of BTS, mentions, “We all have different dreams and goals. That's what makes us individuals, and that's what makes us special.”  
$25
$350

• D

DavisMar 18, 2024 at 3:18 pm

BRO THATS ME WITH THE BLACK JACKET AND WATER BOTTLE

Reply