Interview: Ms. Truesdale, SGA Sponsor

Ms. Truesdale in her classroom.

Njeri Kamenwa

As we enter the final few weeks of school, Eleanor Roosevelt is preparing for this school year’s end. Teachers are cleaning their classrooms, seniors are ready for graduation, underclassmen are saying goodbye to each other, and early prep for the next school year is underway. In one such case, the Student Government Association is preparing for next year via Campaign Season. The Raider Review interviewed SGA Advisor Ms. Brionna Truesdale about this year in review for SGA and their plans and hopes for next year regarding the association.

This interview has been edited for clarity.

For those who don’t know who you are, please state your full name, pronouns, and what you do at Eleanor Roosevelt High School.

My name is Ms. Brionna Truesdale, my pronouns are she/her/hers, and I am the SGA advisor. I also teach Psychology/Sociology and one section of US History.

How long have you been involved with SGA?

I was co-advisor of SGA at the beginning of this school year, but around January or February, I became the advisor when the original advisor stepped down.

What has this year been like for SGA?

It’s been a big transitional period going from one type of leadership to another, but it’s been a great learning experience, and I’m hoping to make it even better for the next school years to come.

What do you hope to accomplish in the next school year?

I want the Student Government Association to embody the student body. I want them to become a bridge between the student body and admin and teachers and the principal. I want us to be a safe space for the student body. Next year, I’m hoping to have a student event once a month where students can come and get together and have fun outside of learning, even though we think it’s important. We like to work hard to play hard. I also want to incorporate town hall-like events where students can express their legitimate concerns professionally and appropriately to admin and teachers.

Why should students be involved in SGA?

Students should be involved in SGA because it’s great preparation for developing leadership skills. And it’s also a great way to connect with other students who are, you know, leaders in their community, but also a great way to become that bridge I talked about earlier between the student body and authority.