Roosevelt’s Special Education Department Lifts Us All

Here at Eleanor Roosevelt, we have many teaching programs that address different student’s needs. One of these that you may not know about is the special education program. According to the ERHS website, “Eleanor Roosevelt High School’s Special Education Department operates in alignment with the county’s mission of providing specialized instruction and related services to children and students with disabilities.” The county’s mission is “To provide specially designed instruction and related services through a continuum of services to children and students with disabilities from birth to age 21; to ensure that the rights of students with disabilities are protected and that federal and State regulatory requirements are met; and to provide resources to parents, guardians, and families of children and students with disabilities.”

We interviewed Special Education Teacher Ms. Tye to learn more about how the program works and who it serves. She described her favorite part of teaching as “knowing that you’re part of helping someone grow” because “there’s nothing better than seeing a student who was struggling at the beginning of the year succeed.” Students can struggle for many reasons, including physical disabilities and learning disabilities. The special education program identifies and provides support for many different students with different kinds of disabilities.

The program here at the school not only helps people with learning disabilities develop academically, but it also gives them a safe space in a public school environment. The only downside is that the department could use more funding and teachers because, in a school system that is already critically underfunded and understaffed, special education is arguably one of the most important programs due to its role in the lives of neurodivergent students. Ms. Tye explains that “I feel like if we had a better teacher-to-student ratio, it would give more students the opportunity for one-on-one work.” Students who might otherwise struggle can achieve a lot if they have the right support.

Below, staff writer Sam Stewart-Ricketts gives his personal account of how special education staff has supported him.

I got my IEP (Individualized Education Plan) in 6th grade when I went to Robert Goddard. My ADHD had prevented me from passing multiple classes because I would get distracted and frustrated. When I got my IEP I was given specific supports to help me focus and help me learn to advocate for myself. This alone was the only reason I made it through middle school without being held back a grade. Nowadays I am able to apply the strategies I have learned and I don’t need as much hands-on support, but it is very valuable to have the supports available when I need them.

There is a common misconception about Special Education that it is only for people with below average intelligence, when in reality, it supports students with a wide variety of needs and learning styles. By making education fully accessible to all students, the special education program helps everyone achieve their best potential.