Adam Silvera’s They Both Die at the End Turns Into a Series

Book cover for Adam Silvera’s “They Both Die at the End” Photo Courtesy of Amazon

Mikayla Henderson, Staff Writer

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera is a heartfelt novel that takes readers on a journey with two teen boys’ last day on Earth. Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio are two teen boys who both receive a call from the government that they have 24 hours left to live. Mateo and Rufus are very different as Mateo is more timid and wants to spend his last day safely, while Rufus is adventurous and wants to check everything off of his bucket list. Although just meeting that day, the two form a strong bond that makes readers root for their survival. The only question is will Mateo and Rufus both die at the end or will they survive to see another day?

Silvera’s novel was so loved by readers and fans that Bridgerton creator, Chris Van Dusen, wants to work with Silvera to write the television adaptation of the novel. Not only was Dusen a showrunner for Bridgerton but he was also an executive producer for shows like Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal. Fans of Dusen and Silvera’s work are excited to see the outcome. Although there is no set date, the series is in the works and we should be hearing more soon.

With excitement for the book and upcoming series, Eleanor Roosevelt High School students were asked how they felt. Although Junior Joy Obiri has not read the novel yet, she is a big fan of Bridgerton. The question of whether or not creators of Bridgerton would do a good job directing another series arose. ¨Yes I do!… I would definitely watch,¨ mentioned Obiri. She explains the dynamic of Bridgerton, adding how connected shows like Grey’s Anatomy are ¨amazing.¨  Another Junior expresses her interest in both the book and upcoming series. After becoming familiar with the book, Zakia Bridgett expresses her opinion. ¨Yes, in my opinion this book can turn out to be enjoyable…I do look forward to the continuous series,¨ explained Bridgett. 

Similar to Obiri and Bridgett, I am also excited for the upcoming series. I was able to read the book during quarantine back in 2020 and I re-read it in 2021. Although the plot took me on an emotional rollercoaster, I loved everything about it. This novel gives your imagination room to roam and I find myself recommending Silvera’s book frequently; both to book lovers and those who are not as big of a ¨book worm¨ as myself. Those like myself, fans of Bridgerton, They Both Die at the End lovers, as well as ERHS students are excited to see what this series may bring.