Teacher Feature: Ms. Lauren Wood

This school year ERHS welcomes Ms. Lauren Wood. Ms. Wood teaches U.S. history as well as world history to students in 9th-11th grade.

Ms. Wood is a graduate from University of Maryland who has been teaching social studies for seven years now.

Ms. Wood stated that she previously taught at James Madison Middle School in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. She exclaimed, “I love teaching high school!”

Junior Sophie Bernheisel from Ms.Wood’s world history class described Ms. Wood as “funny.” Bernheisel added, “She’s young enough that she knows about stuff that we like and she always makes the class interesting.”

Abiola Adesina, also in Ms. Wood’s world history class, has the same views as Bernheisel. “Her work load isn’t a lot and she’s really funny,” said Adesina. Smiling, she said “I admire how she’s able to control a class of over 30 people without having to threaten us or scold us too much”.

Ms. Wood has specific reasons why she chose to teach social studies. “I didn’t like the way my teachers taught it. They made it seem so boring when there is so much more to the subject,” she said.

So far, Ms. Wood is enjoying her teaching experience at Roosevelt. Not only do her fellow students admire her, but the staff does as well.

Mrs. Pottinger, head of the social studies department, said “She is a welcomed addition in the Social Studies department. She is confident and brings a wealth of experience from middle school, which gives her an unique perspective and understanding of her students.”