Check-up: Distance Learning in the Second Semester

Image Courtesy of Mira Kireeva

Inioluwa Aloba

As we end the second semester, students are tackling the final months of distance learning. Some students returned to school while others were satisfied with staying at home to finish off the school year. Deadlines, grades, and the incoming exams that mark the second semester are a major source of stress. Various thoughts and feelings permeate the student body in these uncertain times.

I had the opportunity to speak with a few students about their thoughts and feelings about the second semester and how they’ve changed from the first semester.  It’s apparent that for some students, this year has remained quite difficult. Junior Sydney Fiore has expressed this exact sentiment. To her, distance learning is considered a “hassle” rather than the best alternative to in-school learning. It appears that this is a common sentiment within the student body. Distractions such as cell phones, younger siblings, and a plethora of technological issues make online learning seem like a lot more trouble than intended. Lilian Glaros, a sophomore at Eleanor Roosevelt was all too familiar with these distractions, and being neurodivergent she along with her parents decided it was in the best interest to return to the school building.

On the other hand, there are students who have felt that distance learning has gotten better over time. Although long hours in front of the computer screen used to tire her, Divine Enyi says that her attitude towards distance learning has become “more positive and appreciative.. since the first semester”. And even though she may be missing the vibrant halls of Roosevelt and the fun of spirit week she has grown comfortable schooling from home. Despite having experienced the same distractions previously mentioned, Enyi felt that the cons of returning to the school building outweighed the pros; this is a great reminder that students should try and do what is best for them and their situation.

However students may feel about returning to the school building, anxieties remain despite their decisions. For seniors, higher education is right around the corner and decisions are to be made. For juniors, a lot of uncertainty surrounds whether or not they should take the SAT/ACT exams and how exactly they should prepare for college. Freshmen dove headfirst into unmarked territory and will be experiencing the end to a somewhat confusing school year. And to top it all off, the incoming AP exams have proven to be a source of stress for students from all grades. Students, teachers, and parents alike are all anticipating the end to this confusing school year.