5 Essentials for Staying Well-Rounded During Distance Education

Kendal Howell

You woke up one morning, you got dressed, you went to school, you sat in a classroom, you sat in a cafeteria. Then time stops. You get an announcement that a pandemic is on the rise and school will be closed for an unknown estimated time. What now? Google Classroom and deadlines? Is school over for the year? No answer. Nobody knows. We are blind men in a maze. 

Summer passes and school time is here again. Zoom calls and Google Meet links is all we´re doing. No sports, no friends. You´re thinking, ¨How in the world am I going to go to school from home & actually do my work?¨  Well truth is, everyone one is confused and you´re not alone! Navigating school is a mystery but here we have 5 tips to having a successful distance learning school year! These tips will give you the simple tools to be an all around great student. Following these tips will help you build relationships with your teachers which will benefit you in the long run. 

1. Communicate With Your Teachers

Teachers and students have had to be a united front, and compromise has been an important part of supporting one another during this time. Connecting with students is vital to a teacher’s mental health, especially since we´re missing social interaction in education. She says ¨conveying [her] personality¨ was her biggest challenge in teaching this year. Her live spirit and warm energy coats the classroom environment with amusement and endless possibilities. It is important to communicate since teachers and students can´t read body language with optional camera usage and no physical features. 

Communicate your needs regardless. Although, as students we do face difficult times compromising with teachers. It is crucial that you are transparent with your needs during this time. Eleanor Roosevelt English Teacher (ERHS) Shaniqua McShan says, ¨during virtual learning, teachers need to understand the needs of their students.¨ For teachers, they need to understand you´re status while enrolled in their course. You should still do your best and complete your work but also do not overload yourself. If you feel like you are in a bad headspace to do homework, take your time and speak up. While communication may vary from teacher to teacher such as emails or Google Classroom comments, you should still try to reach out. McShan says ¨find out what sort of communication a teacher can handle and what way they can help¨ Ask your teacher what their best means for communication is so you can have a direct and reliable stream for any situation. 

2. Use An Agenda Book/Planner

As a student in and out of school, staying organized is one of the top tips any student can ever get. It lowers the risk of feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or any type of confusion. Using an agenda book/planner can also help you remember assignments and stay on task. Agenda books lower the risk of missing a homework assignment and helps to remember to study for a test. Agenda books also help mark important dates. McShan says, ¨To Do lists are overwhelming but schedules organize your mind.¨ Also make sure to only keep one planner. Confusing dates with other dates and other places can cause confusion and create unprecedented mistakes. By keeping only one planner, all events and times are easier to keep track of. 

3. Take a Break!

Work hard, rest hard. It is very important for your mental health that you take breaks. McShan says ¨You need to take a break, find a place to take a break and take care of yourself.¨   Especially during virtual learning, looking at a screen all day everyday is super hard on your eyes which feed your brain. If you don’t know where to start, you can try taking a walk around your community, reading a book, doing yoga, and even taking a nap. Getting an adequate amount of ¨me time¨ isn´t so cliche after all, you should do your best to remember who you are outside of this pandemic. Pick up your old healthy hobbies and enjoy yourself. 

4. The Expectations Remain the Same, Do Your Part.

As a student, handle your business. You should show up to class and with that, be punctual. Also participate in both the chat and use your voice. Participation will help you understand the material a lot better. UMBC Freshman Nyla Howell says ¨talking in virtual schooling is the closest thing you’re gonna [sic] get to that in person class room feel. It has positively impacted how I grasp the content of my college material.¨ Participation will also impact your experience in distance education. 

5. Join Clubs

Although, clubs in school vs clubs in virtual are very different nowadays. It’s always good to be connected. I especially recommend clubs to Freshman who may not be familiar with people at the school. It would help them network and share their virtual experiences together. Clubs are also good for your resume and it will especially help you stand out if you went out of your way to join a club despite virtual learning. There are many clubs at Roosevelt such as, K club, Black Student Union (BSU), DIY Club, FIDM Fashion Club, and so many more! Get involved and stay involved. 

Yes, virtual learning is hard, but it is not forever. Take these steps and your virtual life will change. Enjoy.