Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

Students React to New Food Guidelines

In compliance with federal regulation, Eleanor Roosevelt High School has discontinued the sale of pizza, candy, and unhealthy snacks this year in a move that has drawn mixed emotions from students.

Part of first lady Michelle Obama’s Lets Move initiative, recent federal laws prohibit unhealthy food on the campus of public schools. According to Federal Register Vol. 78 No. 125/ Friday June 28, 2013 39081, all food sold must have a certain number of calories, a limited number of grams of sugar, and a certain amount of protein.  This, for many students, was a shock as well as a disappointment.

Senior Milan Marshall disagrees with the change.

Marshall said it “is actually pretty unreasonable considering people… need an afternoon snack, and buying pretzels that’s $1 and full of air rather than a slice of pizza makes no sense. ”

For some students, pizza sales were used as a reward, and many seniors expressed an emotional attachment to pizza sales, candy, and soda in the vending machines.

“I am actually really upset they took away the pizza [because] I used to look forward to it. Sometimes I even used to reward myself after getting a good grade,” said senior Noah Walker. He continued, “I wish they had not taken any of that away, but I understand their intentions.”

Other students said they think it’s a better idea to get rid of some of the unhealthy choices, but many said they are still at a loss for fundraiser ideas without the support of pizza sales.

Senior Tijuana Jordan said that “it’s a bad idea to get rid of the pizza sales, because for many clubs and organizations it was their main fundraiser. However, I think getting rid of soda and candy is a great idea. It forces us to become more healthier as a school.”

The coordinator of the school fundraisers, Ms. Shenninta Newman has given clubs ideas for fundraising other than pizza sales.

“Clubs have asked for alternatives for fundraising and I have told them they can sell Claire’s Gourmet as well as non-food items” said Ms. Newman.