Two Shootings Cause Turmoil

Mary Alyce Yoho and Asha Brown

At 7:22 p.m. on September 30 at ERHS, the Boys Varsity Soccer team was up against Laurel High School when several gunshots were fired from the apartments across the street. Police arrived at the scene and began investigating. There were no injuries or fatalities.

Students and staff said that they were scared and confused about what to do.

Senior, Jeada Porter, who was watching the game, said she was scared and concerned for herself, friends, and family that were present at the game. She said she thought the incident could not have been prevented “because no one can predict when something like that would happen so it’s unpreventable.”

According to the Greenbelt Police’s Weekly Crime Report “A witness advised that he observed a subject fire several shots towards the Spellman Overpass from what appeared to be a handgun, then flee the scene on foot. There were no injuries and the investigation is ongoing. The suspect is described as a black male, short in stature, wearing a hooded sweatshirt”

Officer Rahman from the Greenbelt City Police responded to the first round of gunshots. When asked how issues with gun violence can be prevented in the future he answered with “Our presence, us just riding around the community, being visible, doing a lot of patrols in the area just to show that we are out there.” He also confirmed that security around the school has been increased.

The following week on Monday, October 7th, a second round of gunshots went off across the street near the intersection of Greenbelt Road and Hanover Parkway around 3:45 pm. School had just let out and students were present all over the area. Again, the police arrived at the scene to investigate. According to Greenbelt’s Weekly Crime Report, “Several shell casings were found in the area and three vehicles suffered damage.”

The Greenbelt police will continue to drive around the area of the apartments to ensure the safety of students and residents. They are doing their best to sustain protection throughout the area to prevent any more future shootings or fatalities.