Raiders girl’s soccer beat the Bulldogs 1-0 on Senior Day

Wesley Shoemaker

Roosevelt battles Bowie in the second half. Photo by Wesley Shoemaker

Wesley Shoemaker, Sports Editor

The Raiders from Eleanor Roosevelt High School clashed with the Bulldogs from Bowie High, beating them by a score of 1-0 on Monday October 7 at ERHS.

The Eleanor Roosevelt Raiders girl’s soccer team entered play undefeated at 6-0, looking to beat their rival and move forward toward home field advantage in the playoffs. The Bulldogs entered the game 4-1 on the year looking to take down the rival Raiders. 

During the first half, both teams had good chances, but were unable to put the ball in the back of the net. Bowie took a corner with 6 minutes left in the half, and got 5 shots off before the half, but sophomore Goalie Isabela Martins was able to hold Bowie scoreless. 

The second half produced more chances but no change in score. Bowie had multiple chances including two misses high and wide within the first 5 minutes of the half. The Bowie offense was stopped again and again by a powerful Raider defense, and by Martins play. Martins said “our defense did really well. Overall [our] speed was there and our defense worked together really well.” The defense backed Martins words, as the Raider defense was able to play keep away and set up chances for the Raider offense. Senior forward Zosia Nicholson said that “they always play amazing.” 

This same defense setup Nicholson for the lone goal in the game. With 14 minutes left in the game, the Raider defense sent a pass through the middle of the field to Nicholson. She broke away but was unable to finish the play, as the Bowie defense caught up. Head coach Bob Sowers said “[The Raiders] take pride in quick passing and try to move the ball with the perfect touch.” 

That “perfect touch” came one minute later, as a similar ball got to Nicholson who this time was able to sneak it into the net, to give the Raiders a 1-0 lead, and as Nicholson put, “[they] moved the ball putting that one ball through [the Bulldog defense.]The Raiders then held onto that lead, stopping Bowie’s last try with 2 minutes left. 

The Raider seniors were able to close out their regular season with a win against rival Bowie, and for many seniors it could not have been any more perfect. Senior captain Haley Zack said that this win was “bittersweet,” while Senior forward Aliza Khan said that “playing on our home field for the last time as seniors was surreal,” and that “beating Bowie just made it perfect.” 

The Raiders will play a solid Bladensburg squad and then play a make up game against Charles Herbert Flowers High School this week, looking forward to clinching home field advantage throughout the regional playoffs, as well as inching closer towards another County Championship appearance.