A new school rings in with a new bell schedule

Students and faculty members came back from their summer vacations for a fresh new start of the school year with a new bell schedule.

The change was made by the Prince Georges County Public School Systems due to the number of late buses arriving at Eleanor Roosevelt High School and other area schools.

In previous years, school started at 8:30 a.m. and ended at 3:10 p.m. Now school begins at 8:45 am and ends at 3:20 pm.

Fifteen minutes were added to the existing start and ending times, and according to administrators, the extra time should compensate for the time period in which the late buses have arrived in the past.

The 45-minute period block has not been affected by this changed as there are still 8 periods a day, each period lasting for 45 minutes.

The school Principal, Mr. Reginald McNeill mention that the County’s decision to change the times was made in order to “reduce the numbers of students coming late to school.”

Mr. Benjamin Pryor, one of the school’s Assistant Principals, explained that this is a “work in progress,” and that “the overall goal is to have all buses here at school by 8:25 am to about 8:30 am.”

Even though it has only been about a week since school started, Mr. Pryor noted that “improvements [are] being made” .

On the first day, August 26, the number of late buses was expected to be high as many bus drivers, students and parents were trying to sort out their transportation issues.

The second day, there was a total of about 13 late buses. On the third, there were 9 late buses, and on Friday, August 29, there were only 5 late buses out of the total 37 buses that drop students off at school. On Tuesday September 2nd,  there were about 4 late buses, according to Mr. Pryor.

“I personally thinks that [things] are going in the right direction” Mr. Pryor explained.

Mr. Clinton Shands, another Assistant Principal, mentioned how last year, “There was at least, daily, five to six late buses a day”.

Some people, on the other hand, have a different view of the changes.

Mr. Coit Hendley, a science teacher, said late busses may still impact first period.

“I think [it’s] a first period teachers problem” he said. Mr. Hendley teaches Advance Placement Chemistry first period. “A student comes in 15 minutes late, they miss important material, which can be hard for [them] to keep up.”

Others feel that the change is not noticeable.

Physics teacher, Dr. Laurent Rigal said that ” it [the bell schedule] doesn’t change anything, the work day is the same.”

Even though school’s end time was pushed back, teachers are still expected to be at the school by 8:00 a.m.

Both, Mr. Hendley and Dr. Rigal mentioned that there are still students arriving late to their first period classes.

Mr. Richard Renyer, AP World History teacher explained that late students miss out on important instruction.

“When students are late to an AP or any class, they don’t have the same advantage or benefit from the instruction,” he said. However, Mr. Renyer noted,” It’s been a while I have taught a first period and back then I used to  at least seven to eight students late, but now one or two students are late to my class”.

Students retain other opinions and concerns.

Senior Emmanuela Igwe, a bus rider said, “My bus used to come late last year, it would come around 8:44, but this year its early to school”.

When ask about the new bell schedule, sophomore Shilpa Roy said ” I don’t really care”, as she can now “get up later”. “It’s weird” Roy mentioned.

One common concern from students has been after school activities.

Roy mentioned her concerns of how the new schedule “pushes back after school activities”.  “Before I usually get home at 5:30, now 5:45- 6:00” Roy said. And with taking about 3 AP’s, she explained, “it maybe a little problem”.

Another concern for the students is the late bell. School starts at 8:45 am, but the two warning bells ring at 8:30 and 8:40 a.m. , which is also the same time announcements start.

Senior Ngozi Ewenike expressed concern about the start time.

“Even though it’s only the first or second bell, the admins are rushing us to get to class. Technically we are not late until the announcement starts. I think the two bells are unnecessary” she said.

Junior Brakenette Nelson mentions something similar, “I don’t think students are late until after the announcements are over”.

Mr. Pryor said that “students are not tardy [until] after 8:45, but we would like [them] to be in class by 8:40 am, that is the warning bell telling them to get moving”

For the complete list of the school’s bell schedule, please visit the school’s website at http://www1.pgcps.org/eleanorroosevelt, under the tab about us.