Teacher Feature: Dr. Elana Anderson

Tae'Shaun Vann, Staff Writer

Dr. Elaina Anderson
Photo courtesy of Daniel Nunley

For the start of the new school year, Eleanor Roosevelt welcomes its first Dance instructor. Dr. Elana Anderson has been an educator for 5 Years, starting her career at Suitland High school. At the age of 3, she began dancing at Peabody Elementary school in D.C. The start of her professional dancing career began when she was 14 at Duke Ellington school of the arts. She eventually began studying at Chicago state, earning a Bachelor’s in African American studies. She later received her masters at Howard in African American studies & a graduates in Women’s studies.

Dr. Elana Anderson is the artistic director of the “45 Degrees Project” which is a unique week long adult summer intensive intended to build the artistic community. No stranger to the camera, she has been featured in opera, movies, television, and commercials. When asked about the differences of teaching here at Eleanor Roosevelt versus her past high school she stated that the dance program was “More established”. Students were committed to studying professional dance & intensive training. Working here at Eleanor Roosevelt, she is grateful for the fact that she is able to see her students daily.

Dr. Anderson plans to create a sense of wonder for her students , as well as inspire them to find their own way. She described herself as being a “beacon”. More than an educator. More than a dancer. A guide for her students to be able to pave the way for themselves. She plans on setting up a clear development for future dance teachers that will come to Eleanor Roosevelt.

In her message, she demonstrates passion and courage in her craft. Her strife and motivation will help shine light on the arts and help contribute to its meaning here at Eleanor Roosevelt. If you happen to see her around, be sure to give a warm raider welcome!