Teacher Feature: Mr. Nass

Photographed by Rebekah Chun

Mr. Nass talking to students about their presentations

Alonna Govan, Writer

Teacher Feature: Mr Nass

The new year makes the arrival of several new teachers to the ERHS staff. This year welcomes the addition of Mr. Jacob Nass, a brand new face in the math department. 

Mr. Nass attended Drury University in the state of Missouri, where he majored in Mathematics and minor in Physics and Business Administration. Later on, he would attend the University of Maryland in pursuit of his Master of Education degree. 

Mr. Nass explained that after thinking hard about the pros and cons of teaching, he then settled on what he was passionate about

When asked about the learning environment of his classroom, Mr Nass replied, I wholeheartedly believe that my classroom is a safe environment for learning. I think that I have a unique balance between being stern and being chill,” he stated. “I teach Algebra 1 and Precalculus Advanced.

A student of Mr Nass, senior Chrisria Lightfoot-Taylor, had a lot to say about the new teacher.I would say I think very highly of Mr. Nass,” she said. “He is very personable and tries to do what’s best for his students, even if his students don’t agree with his teaching style. He is also really open, which is something I like about him as a teacher because it makes him seem more human to his students. I know for sure he values teaching. I can see it everyday when he teaches that he enjoys his job.” 

Ms. Jennifer Hill, one of the fairly new teachers also in working in the math department, had much praise for the new teacher as well.“I don’t know him very well, but he’s young. From what the kids tell me, he’s very interactive with the class.”

Consequently, I pursued something that I was truly passionate about.” Mr. Nass states. 

Upon his arrival, Mr. Nass has already become fully immersed in school activities taking place after school. He has decided to sponsor the LGBTQ+ club, taking place at ERHS, and encourages students to attend club meetings. “I’m sponsoring the LGBTQ+ club in room 105 on Thursdays. The first meeting is on September 26. Feel free to stop by!” Outside of school, Nass has a lengthy list of hobbies he loves to do in his spare time.  I skateboard, make music, write, play video games, stay active, and read texts written by philosophers,” he said.   

Students and staff are waiting  to see what Mr.Nass offers as a teacher. One thing is certain, Mr. Nass is very excited to be working at ERHS. “I’m super excited to be here!” he stated. With the addition of the new teachers this year, it seems that students and teachers believe that he will fit right in.