Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

ERHS opinions on gun control

Gun control is a very controversial topic in the U.S.A. and at ERHS.

Laws regulate the sale, possession, and use of any type of firearms or ammunition, and sale records show that during the month of October 2013, the number of guns sold increased dramatically because of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013.

This law took effect on October 1, 2013 and bans the sale of 45 identified weapons, and prohibits Maryland citizens from buying magazines with more than 10 rounds.. Because of the widespread popular opinion and protests against this law being passed, it will most likely be appealed to in court.

Some Eleanor Roosevelt High School students, like junior Crishaun Thomas, disagreed with the law. Thomas said that “guns should not be banned in any way in the state of Maryland.”

For others, there should be limitations regarding what type of gun an individual can purchase. Ms. Elizabeth Putnam is a government teacher and the head of the social studies department, and she explained that in her opinion, “civilians other than law enforcement officers and members of the military should be limited to handguns only. Guns are sold too many places, and you should never be able to buy them at a place like Wal-Mart.” When asked about the Firearms act passed in October, she said “it’s useless” and “won’t solve the problem.”

And students agree that gun control is not as simple as passing a law. Junior Kobe Oppong has similar points of view to Mrs. Putnam.

“There are not many problems I have heard of involving guns that could’ve been fixed by gun laws” said Oppong.

“You have to blame the people, not the guns. Laws or no laws, people will still find ways to commit crimes, guns just make it easier.”