New College Admissions Process Naviance

Sabrina Moorer, Arts and Entertainment Editor

As college admissions season approaches, many Eleanor Roosevelt seniors, teachers and guidance counselors say they are confused by Naviance, the new system for submitting applications.

Naviance is a new program that Prince George’s County Public Schools has adopted to aid students in the college application process. On Naviance, not only can counselors send transcripts and teachers send recommendation letters, but students can also receive information on when specific colleges they have shown interest in are coming to Roosevelt.

However, along with all new things, Naviance does come with its challenges. “A lot of teachers did not know what Naviance was,” said Mr. Troy Bradbury, an English and Capstone teacher at Roosevelt. However, after getting over the initial issues, Bradbury remarked that “Naviance is better for when teachers have 15, 20, 30 letters of recommendation to do”.

Some students, however, said they do not like the new system.

“It’s unnecessarily confusing,” said senior Taylor Carrion. “We’re already stressed and confused about the college process in general.”

Having to learn how to navigate different portals such as Common App, Coalition and Naviance was a challenge for many seniors this year.

Eve Mathew, a junior, said that seeing her senior friends go through the college application process was “intimidating, but also served as a cautionary tale.”

print

About the Writer

Sabrina, a senior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School is very excited to be the Arts and Entertainment Editor for the Raider Review.

As an Afro Latina,...