ERHS Welcomes Mr. David Ellison

Philippa Roberts

Mr. David Ellison

Philippa Roberts, Student Life Editor

On September 1, Mr. David Ellison joined the Math department at ERHS as an Algebra 1 and Pre-Calculus teacher.

Mr. Ellison graduated from Teachers College, Columbia University. He then enrolled in the Ph.D. program at Indiana University, where he did not complete his dissertation – an extended essay consisting of a student’s research on a topic of choice.

He pursued being a math teacher for two specific reasons: his interest in helping others and his love of mathematics. He worked with the Peace Corps in West Africa teaching for a few years and said he has a deep love for mathematics. “I am always talking about math. I am constantly doing math,” he said. “I do a lot of reading about mathematicians and on some new developments in math,” he continued. “The puzzles, patterns and the truth of it” are the aspects of the subject he loves the most.

His current students also said they recognize his enthusiasm for the subject.

“He’s very passionate about Math. I’ve never met someone so in love with it,” said senior Sara Dollen.

Senior Jacie Peacock agreed, adding “he just goes off on the meaningfulness of mathematics, how important it is and how much we are missing out from not knowing some of these amazing math professors.” Peacock also said “he is a good teacher that really motivates self-learning.”

Mr. Ellison said he hopes his students take away such self-learning from his class. “I do not give them the answer because if I give them the answer, then I rob them of the opportunity to discover it themselves,” he said. He wants his students to remember that “they are capable of doing sophisticated math on their own without some authority telling them how to do it.”

“I am very lucky to work here. I get to use my math skills, challenge my students and learn from the students,” he said.