ERHS Welcomes Administrator Mr. James Thomas

Mr. James Thomas

Nyla Howell, Staff Writer

On June 1, Mr. James Thomas joined the staff of ERHS as an assistant principal.

Mr. Thomas has worked in PGCPS for over 20 years. He started as a physical education teacher at Glenarden Woods Elementary School, where he also started youth programs including football and cheerleading teams.

After that, he transferred to Central High School, where he was a teacher, physical education department chair, head football coach and assistant wrestling coach.

While he was working there, he earned his Masters degree in administration and then moved to Ernest Just Middle School as an Assistant Principal for the first time.

He then transferred to Walker Mill Middle School. His first high school where he worked as an assistant principal was Forestville Military Academy. He worked there for 10 years before the school was closed, then moved to Andrew Jackson K-8 Academy and then came to Eleanor Roosevelt High School this month.

Mr. Thomas’s surprise arrival was PGCPS’s decision. He said “it was county based and the position became available. I could be moved at any point of the year.”

Mr. Thomas said he plans to stay at ERHS for the rest of the year to help out with 10th and 11th graders and to cover for other administrators who will not be present for the remainder of the school year. He does not know what grade he will be covering for next year at this time.

In addition to his job, Mr.Thomas said he enjoys coaching youth club lacrosse, football, and basketball. He has coached youth lacrosse for several years. He also enjoys watching all levels of sports and is a Washington Redskins football fan. He also spends his time mountain biking.

During his time in the county, Mr. Thomas has worked with Mr. Avery Taylor in the past. They started in the school system together at Glenarden Woods Elementary School. They worked together for 5 years. Mr. Taylor said that he “looks forward to continuing our professional working relationship where students remain our top priority the way it was when we worked together many years ago.”

Mr. Thomas says that his past few days have been very positive, that students are very mature and kind, and that he looks forward to working with the students and staff of ERHS.