Vegans Shouldn’t Force Their Lifestyles on Others

Londyn Mason, Opinion Editor

Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, and an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of animals.

Some people become vegans because of health reasons; others  just really against animal cruelty. It is safe to say that going plant based and avoiding eating meat/animal products provides health benefits and protects non human lives, though everyone doesn’t live that way.

I am one that does not. I eat meat and I love it. I am not one for animal cruelty. I don’t wear real fur coats or anything and I’d prefer if no one did. I still eat meat and dairy products. It may sound contradicting, but it is what it is. I can’t stay away from dairy completely because I love cheese. I can avoid pork, but I eat chicken regularly and I love a juicy steak every once and a while. Personally, I don’t feel as though there will be ever be a shortage of chickens and cows, but does that make me a terrible person? No.

I don’t mind people who are vegan and respect that others may have different lifestyles; what I mind are people who are aggressive and extreme, and who bash others for not agreeing.

There are some extreme vegans on this Earth that like to think that people who aren’t vegan are just the worst. They will look at you with disgust while you eat your burger. They constantly remind you about how going vegan is better. Sometimes they’re quite annoying. I have seen people on social media going on rants as if they’re holier than others because they don’t eat meat. One woman I saw on Twitter got angry with Beyonce because she goes vegan before every tour of hers. The woman said she felt as though it was disrespectful to other vegans and said Beyonce was fake and told her to call it a plant-based diet. Honestly, it is not that serious.

I understand that not everyone agrees – some students said that it’s OK for vegans to tell people what they think. Freshman Taylor McCormick, for example, said, “I haven’t personally experienced that and I don’t have a problem with vegans trying to spread what they believe in.”

Senior Alexis Fleming agreed with me and stated, “I think some vegans do try to force a healthier lifestyle on us, but I do believe that some don’t care what anyone else eats.”

Finally, senior Erika Jackson said she felt that “People are just over sensitive to what others do and how they change their lifestyle.”

I don’t care what you do in life. I don’t judge, so don’t judge me. Let us meat eaters eat our burgers and we will let ya’ll eat your plants.