North and South Korea Work Towards Peace on the Peninsula

Nyla Howell, Staff Writer

On April 27, North and South Korea made history by agreeing to denuclearize the peninsula and planning to officially declare an end to the Korean War.

At a diplomatic summit in Goyang, South Korea, the President of North Korea, Kim Jong-un, and the President of South Korea, Moon Jae-in, discussed goals for peace between the two countries and signed a peace treaty called the Panmunjom Declaration. According to a news article in the New York Times, “the leaders vowed to negotiate a treaty to replace a truce that has kept an uneasy peace on the divided Korean Peninsula…” This news has brought high hopes to both countries about working together after many years of separation.

The two leaders discussed denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula which was a surprise given North Korea’s recent build up of its nuclear weapons within the last year. According to The Times, “North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, had told President Moon Jae-in that he would abandon his nuclear weapons if the United States agreed to formally end the Korean War and promise not to invade his country.” The leaders talked to U.S. National Security Advisor, John R. Bolton, and said that the treaty “would be accompanied by a ‘full, complete, total disclosure of everything related to their nuclear program with a full international verification.’” Although, the talks of denuclearization in the future seem nice, many are skeptic about whether Mr. Kim plans to keep his word. According a news article in CNN News, North Korea has talked about denuclearization ten times and there has been no change.

The leaders also discussed talking with the U.S. about declaring an official end to the Korean War. The war started in 1950 and but was never officially declared over. This is was a historic moment that will be remember. This decision show the two countries settling for more peace on the peninsula after many years of tension. The leaders are also starting to become cordial. According to The Times, after a signing ceremony,  they had “a dinner full of symbolism, including noodles from Pyongyang and fish brought in from Moon’s home town, they sat together in the DMZ to watch a show of lights and music.”

Students were asked how they felt about the countries coming to a peaceful point.

Freshman Nikki Johnson said,” It is good to see [North and South Korea] coming together after many years of tension.” Another student, sophomore Leilani Soaifanua, said “it shows how much time has passed.” Freshman Jonathan Parks commented that he thinks “this is a big historic moment after a long time of bad relations between the two countries…I think the denuclearization is very good for the future. North Korea’s nuclear scare has had people on edge for some time. I hope this means more peace in Asia.”