FBI Reveals Michael Cohen’s Illegal Work

Nyla Howell, Staff Writer

Michael Cohen, President Trump’s lawyer.
Courtesy of Creative Commons

On April 9, the apartment of Michael Cohen, a lawyer and business associate for President Trump, was raided by the FBI where documents and recordings of illegal work were found. He will now be heading to court.

According to The Washington Post, “the Justice Department said Cohen has been ‘under criminal investigation’ over his business dealings.” Cohen has been accused of working with the Russian government, sending hush payments and threatening magazine companies to keep people from publishing stories and coming out into the public about Trump’s past relations.

According to The Washington Post, the raids were ordered by Robert Mueller, the director of the FBI. The Post also stated that was where they found “records about Cohen’s clients and personal finances…a 2016 payment Cohen made to adult-film star Stormy Daniels, who claims to have had a sexual encounter with Trump.” Cohen is being investigated for bank fraud and wire fraud.

Cohen had worked with the Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign. According to a news article in Vox News, Cohen has worked as a lawyer for the Trump Organization for at least a decade. According to the article, “He’s a man who’s made profane and violent threats to protect Donald Trump, and has called himself Trump’s ‘fix-it guy.’” In 2015, The Daily Beast newspaper was going to publish a story about Trump’s ex-spouse admitting that he had raped her. However, before the article could publish, Cohen threatened to sue and “(falsely) asserted that legally, ‘you cannot rape your spouse’ under New York state law.”

This is only one of the many occasions where he helped Trump illegally or through threats.

There is also evidence that Cohen may have been working with Russia during the presidential election.  According to Vox News, emails were exchanged during the election between Cohen and a Russian government worker. The emails discussed “‘engineer[ing]” the election when speaking about getting Trump elected for president. This shows that there is a possibility for Cohen playing a major role in the Russian interference investigation which will only add to Cohen’s long record of illegal actions that he has done throughout his career.

Students were asked how they felt about somebody who works the president doing these illegal things.

Freshman Abigail Feng said, “I think it is not proper for a president to have people hiding his mistakes…as for the people who are performing illegal actions, they are not truly working to create a better nation…their actions are not justified.” Sophomore Joshua Isangehighi commented that Cohen was highly “loyal…as loyal as they can go.”

Junior Kasey Brown said, ” I think that it is a horrible thing because [the cover-ups] stop us from knowing the truth.”