How You Look in the Mirror VS On Camera

Londyn Mason, Opinion Editor

Do you ever go and look in the mirror and look absolutely amazing? You are just mesmerized by yourself and can’t believe how good you look. You decide that this is the right moment to take some selfies. You pull your phone out and open the front facing camera and almost drop your phone because it doesn’t look like you.

You question yourself and say “I KNOW I am not this ugly.” I am pretty sure we have all been there. It just throws you all the way off. It can ruin your day. You wonder if it’s the mirror or the camera playing with your life and you hope it’s the camera because you look better in the mirror.

Senior Erika Jackson said, “I feel like the camera focuses on the stuff that doesn’t really look that nice that you can’t see in the mirror.”

You just start questioning life. Has it always been a lie? Freshman Kayla Fenstermacher agreed and said, “Yes! I feel this way all the time.”

According to Quora, the mirror is more reliable than the camera. “Even though people say “he camera never lies, it distorts your photographs a little bit. It has to turn a 3d image (you in real life) to a 2d image (a photograph) and consequently skews the proportions a little bit. Also, when you see yourself in the mirror, you’re seeing your face in motion, how others would see it.” So if you look like an aged potato on camera, do not worry, because people don’t see that. When you look bomb in the mirror, that is how everyone else sees you. So just know: it is okay!