Florida Gun Bill: What’s in It, and What Isn’t

Vanessa Imonide, Staff Writer

Florida Governor Rick Scott signed the new gun bill on Friday, March 9th, 2018. The law, known as the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, tightens gun control in several ways but also allows some teachers to be armed. It will be the most successful gun legislature in Florida history in the past 20 years. The gun raises the minimum age of carry to 21, before it was 18. The shooter was 19 when he purchased the gun that he used in his shooting spree. If this law had been passed before, he wouldn’t have been able to legally purchase it.

There would be a waiting period for when you could legally purchase a gun: after a full background check is done, or after three days, whichever is done first. Also, bump stocks, the things that are attached to guns to help them fire faster, will no longer be legal in Florida. The most controversial part of the bill is the arming of school employees, who will be required to train for such a responsibility. This has been long desired by the N.R.A., yet, the students who’ve been fighting for gun control strongly oppose this.

The bill also funds school security personnel in schools. The sale of AR-15s, nor will assault weapons, be halted.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/us/florida-gun-bill.html