Dating in High School: Couples at Roosevelt

An+ERHS+couple+poses+with+their+baby+outside+of+the+school.+

An ERHS couple poses with their baby outside of the school.

Vanessa Imonide, Staff Writer

With Valentine’s day rapidly approaching, love is quickly filling the atmosphere. It’s the day of romance, in which you show your love and affection for that special someone. It’s the day when couples express their love for one another through gifts, kisses, and hugs.

Showing appreciation for one another, balancing school with dating, friendships, and social media can have a strong effect on the relationship. We asked students at Roosevelt, how they deal with those factors and express their love for their significant other.

How did you meet? How long have you been together?

Talon Hall and Julia Sharapi met in their Italian 1 class. Hall and Sharapi both answer, “Who knows?” Shahanaaz and Jadace met at school and have been together for two months. Shahanaaz says, “We rode the same bus, and I offered her my green shirt for class color day so that’s how I got her number.” An anonymous couple met in their engineering class and have been together for a year and a half.  Norma and Janae’, met through mutual friends and had classes together and have been together for a year and 4 months. TaSharie and Brian have been friends for about two years and have been dating for two months.

Do you think relationships should start off as a friendship?

Sharapi says “Some couples work without the foundation of friendship, but I believe that it’s best if people start out as friends. It allows you to really get to know the person before a relationship develops.” Shahanaaz and Jadace believes that relationships should start off as a friendship because, “you get to know the person better.” An anonymous couple answered “Yes.” Norma and Janae’ believe that relationships should start off as a friendship but, “Friends for too long could ruin the relationship and the friendship.” TaSharie and Brian answer with, “Yes, that is how ours started out. It seems easier with less problems.”

How do you balance school and a relationship? How does social media affect your relationship?

Sharapi states “I tell him to do his homework.” Hall states they hang out on weekends and, “she nags me to do my homework.” Shahanaaz answered, “My girlfriend understands that school is a priority. So my schoolwork comes first.” “I don’t let people on twitter define my expectations of my relationship or my actions in my relationship.” Janae’ answered, “It’s difficult especially with basketball and cheerleading but we make the most time every day that we can, mostly consisting of late nights. An anonymous couple said “I try to make sure I text her daily so even when we can’t see each other we’re still talking, even if it’s only a five minute “how are you” “tired” conversation.” TaSharie and Brian say, “We help with each other’s homework.” Social media does not interfere in their relationship.

How do you show appreciation for your significant other? How do you feel about public display of affection?
Talon Hall and Julia Sharapi show their appreciation for one another, by sending each other memes. Hall believes PDA is “Despicable.” Shahanaaz says that, “I tell her I appreciate her, I give her small gifts and surprise notes. Also, a lot of reassurance. I am not the biggest fan of kissing a lot in public, but holding hands and hugging i’m perfectly fine with.” Janae’ said, “Giving her all the love I can, and proving to her we will last and we are right for each other.” Janae’ answered, “I love to show my love for her, but like that nasty stuff other people do is just too much.” An anonymous couple said “I send her hand-written letters, sometimes with art and sometimes with poems. I tend to shy away from PDA because I am still in the closet with my family and don’t want to be outed by someone.” 

Do your personalities mesh well? Explain why or why not.

Sharapi says, “Yes, we’re able to balance each other out very well. He exposes me to ideas and concepts I would have never thought of. We also support each other no matter what – he doesn’t always understand me but I know he’ll always have my back.” Shahanaaz answered, “We both have a similar outlook on life and a similar sense of humor. She understands my jokes, and the way I think.” Janae’ said, “Ours do because we have similar and opposite qualities. Those opposite qualities overall help us to balance each other out and push each other to become a better person every day.”An anonymous couple believes their personalities mesh well, “We are different in our interests and activities, but we are similar people. Both kind of introverted, both food addicts.” 

Being able to balance each other out and support and love each other no matter the circumstance seems like the perfect recipe for these couples and they’re excelling in that. Happy Valentine’s Day!