ERHS Girls’ Basketball Team Wins Home Game Against Parkdale

Kobe Broadwater, Sports Editor

On Tuesday, January 2, Eleanor Roosevelt High School’s girls basketball team hosted Parkdale’s Lady Panthers and were victorious with 54-44.

The Raiders had a slow start in the first half of the game, but began leading by 2 points at halftime. In the second half, senior Ashia McCalla connected on a key three-pointer with the foul to gain an 11 point lead for the Raiders, ending the third quarter and finishing with 20 points. This game was a regular season rematch from the 4A South Regional Semifinals last year, which the Raiders also won 62-57.

Junior DainaJoy McFarlane (aka DJ, according to the team) said going into the game the focus was “to rebound the ball, box out, get teammates involved, and limit turnovers.” Throughout these two teams’ previous games, intensity between them has increased; however McFarlane said that there was “no pressure – we come to play ball.”

Guard Taylor McCormick describes the team like “a family always encouraging and cheering for each other.” McCormick’s evaluation of the team’s strengths and weaknesses were “our ability to take control and build intensity when we gain a run and communication on the court offensive and defensive…our weaknesses tend to be sharing the ball and defense.” 

Sophomore Nylah Lee came off the bench bringing lots of energy and playing lock down defense while teammate McCormick experienced early foul trouble. Lee is only one of only two sophomores on Varsity, which “is a big challenge and new responsibility because not only am I being held at a high expectation but it’s a different experience that I have to get used to.” 

Amaya Yancey from Parkdale HS connected on lots of three pointers, leading them with 17 points. However, ERHS locked on defense, playing tight in the 4th quarter. The Raiders are getting ready to face another rival school, Bowie High School, on Thursday, January 11th. With basketball season quickly moving by, ERHS is preparing for the playoffs and bringing home a 4A south championship.