What High Schoolers Get for Christmas Now Vs. When They Were Young

Londyn Mason, Opinion Editor

Christmas is just around the corner guys! People are beginning to feel holiday joy and getting into the holiday spirit. Decorating the inside and outside of the house and putting up our Christmas tree and adding the ornaments. We start playing Mariah Carey All I want for Christmas is you. Last but not least, we are all thinking about what we want for Christmas.

Children are making their lists for Santa Claus and us older high schoolers are just thinking about what things we plan to ask our parents for. As you get older, you start to notice there is a slight shift in the amount or type of gifts you receive. Junior Taylor McCormick stated, “I’ve gotten less Christmas gifts…back then I wanted everything I saw on the commercials. Now I want less things, but they’re more expensive. So I…be getting like 3 or 4 expensive things.”

When I was little I used to receive a lot of gifts. I was the only child at the time, so it was very fun. Of course, the presents were mainly toys, but I didn’t have to share anything and every gift was for me. I didn’t even have to look at the wrapping label, I just ripped them open. All of that changes when you have younger siblings. As I got older I noticed how my sister would get a lot of gifts and I was receiving fewer. Freshman Ellen Rauck agreed and stated, “My younger brother always gets more gifts than I do.”

You may feel a little unappreciated, but we all have to remember we are getting older and want more expensive things. Senior Christopher Person said, “When I was younger I would get a lot of this ranging from expensive to good price but over the years my gifts started to get limited and somewhat more expensive. Nowadays I get less things but the prices are higher, and that’s due to the older you get the less you really want.” I have to take in account that I’m 17 years old and the things I want are relatively more expensive than the things my sister asks for.  We are in high school. We want electronics and designer clothes, shoes, and gifts in general that aren’t cheap, not toys. My parents tell me all the time, “One of your gifts will cost the same as everything we get your sister, you can’t complain.” So, don’t feel down because you only find maybe two gifts under the Christmas tree. Remember you are older and it’s quality over quantity.