Playoffs is Where it Counts

Kobe Broadwater, Sports Editor

On Friday, November 10 Eleanor Roosevelt football team won their first playoff game against Charles Herbert Flowers High School. Although the Raiders started off slow, trailing  7-0,  and took the lead 2nd quarter scoring 34 points. The Raiders handed Flowers their first loss of the season making a huge statement and now getting ready to face Dr. Henry A. Wise, Jr High School in the regional final being held on Friday, November 17 for the game of the week.

The game was an important revenge game, due to previously losing to Flowers 26-19 in September. According to the offense and defensive lineman James Ballanger, “it was a very important game because we lost to them in the regular season, therefore we had to prove them wrong”. Due to a “great offensive line blocking leading to a  running game,” with help from a strong defense, stopping the wide receiver lead the Raiders to their victory.  This season’s goal for the Raiders is for the team to win states and become 4A State Champions. Ballanger said he felt that “they were an obstacle in our way and we had to overcome them”.

The Raiders look to continue their journey to a State Championship by taking it one game at a time. Previously, losing a close nail biter to Wise 21-14 on October 20 they look forward to a physical game with Wise and beating them for the first time in the playoffs this upcoming weekend.