MAGLEV Train Proposal in Greenbelt

A+Maglev+train+in+China.+

Courtesy of Creative Commons

A Maglev train in China.

Nyla Howell, Staff Writer

In 2016, BWRR proposed 2 routes for a speed train that would affect ERHS. This idea is just starting to pick up speed in Greenbelt. The organization says the train will reduce time in commute, however, some residents are concerned that it will destroy communities.

The MAGLEV train is a speed train often used in Asia. It travels at 300 miles per hour through the use of magnetic waves. According to www.scmaglev.com, “the SCMAGLEV (L0 Series) train is the fastest train in the world.” A private company, Baltimore-Washington Rapid Rail (BWRR), has proposed a plan in Maryland that would run through Prince George’s County. The MAGLEV would run from Washington D.C to Baltimore in approximately 15 minutes. The company also has plans to extend to New York.

According to an opinion article in The Washington Post, In recent months, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) has pushed the idea of building such a train, known as a magnetic levitation train, or maglev.” BWRR’s proposed routes will go through multiple cities in Maryland and would cause destruction in communities. They have proposed two possible routes that would go through or under ERHS.

Some said they are concerned that this will impact our school in many ways. One sophomore, Devin Beatty said “why would we destroy one of the better schools in the county to save 25 minutes of travel.”

A freshman, Mark Spooner, said ” I wouldn’t have a train go near the school because it would disrupt classrooms and/or make getting into school in the morning harder.” And junior Eliem Baires said “also if it were to go through our school that would mean that our school would have to be moved somewhere else and plus, it would be expensive.”

According to an news article in the Capital Gazette, ” ‘The ability to travel between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., in only 15 minutes will be absolutely transformative, not just for these two cities, but for our entire state,’ Hogan said in a statement.” Others are interested in the positive change it will bring to communities.