Teacher Feature: Mrs. Ford

Mrs. Ford in her classroom

Natalie Valiente, Staff Writer

This year, Eleanor Roosevelt welcomes a new science teacher to the school. Mrs. Sara Ford teaches biology to 9th graders in room 130.

A Michigan state University Alumni who majored in botany and plant pathology (sick plants/diseases), Mrs. Ford is eager to “get kids [as] interested in science” as she is. Although she was originally a garden center owner, Mrs. Ford decided to go into education, because she felt that a big part of her career should be educating others in science.

So far, Mrs. Ford has been enjoying being part of the Eleanor Roosevelt staff and their reputation for motivating students to do their best in school. She says that many of her students are “ready to learn” and that Roosevelt is an overall “positive place to be.”

Mrs. Ford does not have any particular method of teaching her students, but strongly believes that students learn best when the class is interactive. She believes that she is a “very hands on teacher,” who prefers activities than notes. Most of her class revolve around “being able to have discussions and actual labs.”

Freshman David Obibia said that although it has only been a few weeks since the year began, he thinks that Mrs. Ford, “teaches well.” Ms. Muhith, who is also a new biology teacher and is located in front of Mrs. Ford’s room, says that her work is “planned out” and “well prepared.” Since Ms. Muhith has never taught before, she always makes sure to go to Mrs. Ford for any “cool hands on activities” that she can use in her own class.

In her spare time, Mrs. Ford (unsurprisingly) enjoys outdoor activities, such as hiking or gardening.