Teacher Feature: Ms. Vanik

Darius Foster, Photo & Video Editor

Ms.Vanik is the new visual art teacher at Eleanor Roosevelt High School and plans to make “art a stronger program” at Roosevelt.

A graduate of University of Maryland, Ms. Smurna Vanik  studied studio arts and graphic design as undergraduate and graduate student. While in college Ms.Vanik took a variety of accounting jobs like a cashier, bank teller, tax accountant, and even a crate union apprentice to the president (an apprentice program under the president where college credits can be earned).

After college Ms.Vanik went directly into teaching visual arts at Bladensburg High School, where she met former ERHS art teacher Ms. Kelly Holland and current graphic design teacher Ms. Monique Connealy, both of whom introduced her to ERHS.

Ms. Vanik said she plans to “build up the supplies and materials in the class for the students to use” and describes her teaching style as “paternalistic” but not “micro-managing”  allowing the students to express themselves creatively and freely. Ms. Connealy said that “She’s a really good teacher and her students will learn a lot from her”. A current student of Ms. Vanik describes her as “spicy but nice”.

One thing that Ms. Vanik loves about ERHS is the support and respect for the teachers. Ms. Vanik describes “the administration, guidance counselors, librarians, everyone” as “super helpful”. Ms. Vanik also finds it “pretty cool.” that “people really love it here“ and “are really proud to be in this school! And I can see why, it’s a fantastic system”.

Ms. Vanik said she loves watercolor and her favorite artist are Rembrandt and Caravaggio because of “their use of lighting”. In her free time Mrs. Vanik said she enjoys to travel and has been to 14 countries so far. Two of her favorite places are Malaysia and Thailand because of their “amazing food”.

Ms. Vanik invites all students to her class and in the future plans to take on Ap Art and start up Art Club.