ERHS Offers Brand New AP: Computer Science Principles

Megan Leonard, News Editor

AP Computer Science Principles, a new College Board AP course, is being taught at Roosevelt for the first time this year.

The class offers an overview of the computer science field, and focuses more on the big ideas of computer science than on programming. Because programming is not the only thing people do in computer science, it is only taught in one unit. This differs from other computer science classes, where students program for the entire year. Many students taking the new course have previously taken a class that is dedicated to programming, but this class covers a broader category of topics, so there is plenty more to learn, according to Mr. Kevin Hawk.

Mr. Hawk, who also teaches Guitar and Piano, decided to teach this class because he has taught Recording Technology in the past and “always really enjoyed that class.”  He said he enjoys teaching this class because he likes to see “students that have taken programming and are interested in computer science see other aspects of the computer science field that they may not have known about.”

According to Mr. Hawk, because the computer science field is growing and many jobs are opening up, this class is a valuable asset for students. By covering a wide range of topics, and not going into too much detail, he believes this class can really spark a student’s interest in the field, and encourage them to consider going into computer science as a career.

Many students taking the class this year have taken computer science classes already. 11th grader Roland St. Michel has taken Intro to Computer Science in the past. Alexander Andrews, also in the 11th grade, is currently also taking AP Computer Science Java, a computer science class ERHS has offered for many years. Alexander chose to take the new computer science class in order to expand his knowledge of the field, because he “definitely” plans on pursuing a career in this field. So far, Alexander said he enjoyed “learning more about both hardware and software.” Roland said he enjoys “doing presentations on areas of computer science,” and said he also is considering looking into a career in computer science.

While AP Computer Science Principles does not yet count as an advanced technology credit for Science and Technology students, Ms. Hemelt, the Science and Technology Coordinator, says it may count in future years.