Student Feature: Ivan Perez

A selfie taken by senior Ivan Perez, who has recently stated that he is proud of his atheist beliefs.

Photo courtesy of Ivan Perez

Chiemeka Okeoma, Staff Writer

In the second grade, a young Ivan Perez and his family were on a long drive to Massachusetts to visit his uncle, who was battling cancer at the time. “We prayed and prayed to keep our hopes but before we got there, he died,” said Ivan. This story is what lead Ivan to begin questioning his faith at such a young age. Now at the age 17, Ivan has totally abandoned his religion. He is an atheist.

Ciara Silex, an ERHS graduate of the class of 2016 and a close friend of Ivan, has no problem with Ivan being an atheist, saying that it’s “no big deal.”

“Everyone has their own beliefs and I’m okay with that,” said Silex. “He’s good about being tolerant towards other beliefs, so it’s easy for me to get along with him.” Marcus Waugh, another ERHS 2016 graduate, said that even though he is religious, Ivan has “never made me question my faith.” He said he was only a “little surprised but ultimately indifferent” when he learned that Ivan is an atheist. Both graduates agreed that Ivan’s beliefs don’t make him any different from their other friends.

Although Ivan holds beliefs – or disbeliefs – that starkly contrast those held by much of the school’s population, he thinks that no one should ever feel ashamed for what they believe in. “If you believe in God and an atheist is making you feel bad, get away from that person. If you’re an atheist and a Christian is making you feel bad, get away from that person. It goes both ways.”

Ivan has said that he never feels the need to hide his beliefs. He commented on his experience as an atheist here at ERHS, saying “There isn’t any time I’m treated differently because I’m an atheist. The environment at school tends to disregard religion.”